PDA

View Full Version : QPA A333 Diverts YPAD

Natit
19th Jan 2004, 08:58
Found on another board...

Five hospitalised after Qantas fumes scare
January 19, 2004 - 12:39PM

Five people were hospitalised after being overcome by fumes on a Qantas flight today.

The passenger and four cabin crew were taken to hospital for precautionary checks after a Qantas Airbus made an emergency landing in Adelaide about 10.05am CDT today.

The plane departed Melbourne for Perth but the pilot decided to divert to Adelaide after cabin crew noticed fumes coming from an aircraft galley, a Qantas spokesman said.

The A330-300 aircraft, which only entered service last month, had 12 crew and 274 passengers on board when the incident happened, the spokesman said.

He said the five people taken to hospital had reportedly suffered nausea and were met by ambulances at the Adelaide airport.

"Qantas engineers have begun investigating the cause of the incident," the spokesman said.

The airline was making arrangements to re-book passengers on later flights to Perth, he said.

AAP

Thought this problem only occured on the 146's :)

Capt Claret
19th Jan 2004, 09:07
Now, now, Natit.

Many aircraft over the years have suffered to some degree or another with fumes problems. DC9 for one, and you don't hear too many folk sh!tcan the DC9. :p

Natit
19th Jan 2004, 09:15
Oh mate.. I'm a huge fan of the qudrapuff, don't get me wrong.

But you're exactly right, you only hear what the media wants you to hear!

penash
19th Jan 2004, 12:19
QANTAS was trying to find the cause of fumes that leaked into one of its newest planes placing nine people in hospital today.

The seven crew members and two passengers were in a stable condition after suffering nausea-like symptoms from fumes on a scheduled Melbourne to Perth flight.

The pilot of the Airbus A330-300, which only began operating for Qantas early last month, made an emergency landing in Adelaide about 1005 CDT today.

Ambulance and fire crews awaited the emergency landing at Adelaide airport with medical staff rushing nine people to the Royal Adelaide Hospital.

A hospital spokesman said the nine people did not suffer serious side effects from the fumes. He said they were in stable conditions and it was expected they would be released later today.

A total of 274 passengers and 12 crew were on board the plane.

"The pilot made the decision to divert to Adelaide after cabin crew described a fume smell emanating from one of the aircraft's galleys," a Qantas spokesman said.

The Airbus A330-300 had only commenced services for Qantas in early December last year, he said.

"Qantas engineers have begun investigating the cause of the incident, contact has already been made with Airbus as part of the investigation," the spokesman said.

He said a Boeing 767 aircraft and another crew had travelled to Adelaide from Melbourne to carry all passengers on to Perth later today.

AAP

FUMES QANTAS

Groaner
19th Jan 2004, 13:39
The fumes weren't from the food, were they?

SkySista
19th Jan 2004, 14:54
Lol Groaner, if it's anything like the DJ flight I was on last month, someone probably dropped cheese in the oven! :E

SS

404 Titan
19th Jan 2004, 17:07
The plane departed Melbourne for Perth but the pilot decided to divert to Adelaide after cabin crew noticed fumes coming from an aircraft galley, a Qantas spokesman said.
Probably some burnt toast from the galley. Oh that’s right Qantas don’t have hot meals on any domestic flights anymore. I will have to think of something else.
:confused:

topend3
19th Jan 2004, 20:26
sympathies to those involved, but this was great news for those plane freaks in adl, they never get to see the qf A330's...

mainwheel
20th Jan 2004, 01:14
SIA had a ground return recently because a women "burped" after stuffing herself with durian before the flight. They thought there was a dead rat on board.

Groaner
20th Jan 2004, 07:01
I think I know that woman...