PDA

View Full Version : Question re: JAA IR in the US

642vgs
19th Jan 2004, 02:14
Two quick questions about training in the US.

I completed all the JAA ATPLs in October and will start the CPL/ME with Leeds flying school in March. After that I will consider where to do the IR. The questions are:

1. If I do the JAA IR training in the US, is the test conducted in the US or does that have to be done in the UK (or is there any kind of validation required on return to the UK?)

Second question is similar to the first but with regard to type ratings.

2. Having completed a type rating for (say) a 737 in the US, how would this be viewed by a UK airline when applying for a job? valid or with some kind of sceptisism?

Cheers

englishal
19th Jan 2004, 15:20
The JAA IR test has to be done in the UK or a JAA state. You can do the CPL in the US, including test but not the IR.....Maybe the training can be done in the US, but unless you're doing the FAA IR with a view to converting then this seems pointless to me.

You can do the FAA IR and convert to JAA in approx 15 hrs.

Rgds
EA

Tinstaafl
20th Jan 2004, 03:15
What about IR renewals & class ratings? Anyone know if they can be done in the US?

FlyingForFun
20th Jan 2004, 16:30
IR renewals can definitely be done in the US. In fact, a certain moderator of ours happens to have just become qualified to do them ;)

FFF
--------------

Tinstaafl
21st Jan 2004, 00:57
Ta, FFF. I'm moving to Florida in a few months time and will need to organise it around October or so. Don't like the idea of letting qualifications lapse. Too much effort & $$$ went in to them...

My names Turkish
21st Jan 2004, 02:59
642vgs I know that EFT and maybe Comair/Delta Connection are able to do the JAA IR here*. Wait! dont go mad just yet. The way they do it is that you can do all but the last 15 hours in the States with the remaining 15 hours and checkride in Europe. The checkride must be taken in European airspace. Also an FAA type rating wont be acceptable to anyone on Europe which is a shame as they are between a third and hal price.

642vgs
21st Jan 2004, 03:22
Many thanks for the responses. In fact EFT was the school that I was considering as a possibility. However, all in all I think it will be a lot less faffing about if I just do the lot in the UK. At least then I'll be training in the conditions that I'll be tested in.

Or put another way, I'll be paying through the nose for the training as well as paying through the nose for the test!

Sorry, just let the old stiff upper lip quiver for a moment there.

englishal
21st Jan 2004, 03:26
able to do the JAA IR here
No doubt for JAA prices as well. Its a right con really, you end up doing *part* of an FAA IR, for JAA prices (minus a few quid). After all you're flying to the US standards, our brothers over the pond won't tell you "you're down wind for the ILS" "You're now on Base for the ILS"......"Intercept the localizer and report established"......"Continue"......."Descend with the Glideslope"......ya de ya de ya.......You'll get a "turnrightheading210clearedfortheILS24approach,contactthetowe ratdeazy...seeyer".

You'd be better off doing an FAA IR for $5000, and converting IMHO. A CPL/IR conversion course should cost the average punter about 7 grand, and this is factoring in a few extra hours above the minimum required to get up to speed apparently.......

Cheers
EA:D