PDA

View Full Version : Why do you want to be a pilot?

chinagirl
19th Jan 2004, 00:19
This may sound like a strange question but what exactly is it that makes you want to be pilots?:confused: :confused:

I have been thinking about what it is for a while and really am not sure! I just do!:O

Le-Slat Disagree
19th Jan 2004, 01:19
I wanted to be a pilot from an early age (4) when I first went on an aircraft. Simple answer - I loved it.

It then developed throughout my life, the more I learnt about the job, the more it appealled. How many offices have a view like that (ok a grotty winters day there's not much of a view, but to climb out of it does it for me) There are no telephones! There's always a chance of travelling the world and seeing new places, meeting new people. I could think of and have done worse jobs that have been paid far less too!!!

But I guess the bottom line for me is that I enjoy flying, why not do it for a living.

All the best, Le-Slat.

CyclicRick
19th Jan 2004, 23:09
I is one!

An age old question like why are we here?, how big is the universe? etc...etc....
Why on earth would anyone want to be an accountant? or dig holes in the road? it's because you just do, it's one of those strange things that grab you and tell you that you are destined to do nothing else.
All the stress, the bad pay, the periods of unemployment, the endless trips away from home at a moments notice when you've just invited guests round for dinner that night.....and then you get in the cockpit, start your engine(s) and lift off (I'm a helicopter pilot just in case you were wondering) and everything is forgotten and you just love it.

Simple :)

The worst thing you could ever do, is want to, not try for it and sit there in 25-35 years time and say "god I wish I'd tried for it". :{

Rick

p.savage
19th Jan 2004, 23:57
Simple really!

It's just the best job in the world. End of story.

Paul

topgundom
20th Jan 2004, 10:44
:cool:

Have you ever watched the sun rise over the Alps in the early morning?

CrashDive
20th Jan 2004, 15:04
Initially because I wanted a job that would give me time off to go windsurfing, along with sub-load travel to take me to far flung shores ( e.g Maui ) - and the money's not too bad - but it didn't quite pan out like that, though I do enjoy the flying.

..... and yes, sitting up the front with a nice cup of tea, whilst the rising sun turn the Alps pink sure beats the M25 rat race !.... to say nothing of the views of the Sahara, thunderstorms in Africa, flying to the Artic Circle, the vast expanse of the Russian Caucuses & Steppe, etc...... to say nothing of the great people you get to work with ! :ok:

Milt
20th Jan 2004, 15:25
To be able to use that other dimension under the intricate control of your finger tips is just so much better than anything else.

And how many have had the opportunity to see the full circle of a rainbow?

Just try it and you'll be hooked.

Capt BK
20th Jan 2004, 18:26
I'm with you Chinagirl and all the other wannabees - I just do! Its something I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember. I never even flew in an aircraft of any type until I was 16 and that was a chippy in the ATC, I never flew abroad until I was 20:(

But long before any of that i've had the urge to fly and I did all the geeky aircraft enthusiast things kids do. Despite doing a job I hate for the last 7 YEARS, I can honestly say being a pilot is the only career for me that would make me happy. Only time will tell if i'm right.

CBK

Northern Highflyer
20th Jan 2004, 19:16
Awww stop it will you.

It's bad enough wading through my ATPL studies and thinking that I have at least a year to go before I can even start to apply for jobs, without reading these tales and getting even more envious. :(

Roll on 2005 :O

As to why I want to do it, ditto the other replies.

donaldstan
10th Feb 2004, 11:42
i am like u, chinagirl, kept asking myself "r u sure u want to b a pilot?" some things, we dont try, we dont know.

i've just applied for an airline's cadet pilot, now waiting for reply. i've told myself that even if i fail or realise that i don't like being a pilot, at least i know the answer to the question above thru experience and not thru guessing. i hope this is right.

all the best to u and everyone else who's still in doubt!!!

Ex Oggie
11th Feb 2004, 02:21
Apart from all the usual reasons, perhaps a small part of all of us just loves to have a reputation that produces websites like this one

http://www.dateapilot.com/

Shamlessly pulled from the CC Forum. I am still laffin with my tongue very firmly in my cheek! ............. :ok:

skyman68
11th Feb 2004, 06:17
to be the most far away possible from my boss!;)

pa28biggles
11th Feb 2004, 15:42
I could sit here all day reasoning, but to summerise:
Because I love to fly!