PDA

View Full Version : very straightforward question- straightforward answers

reido
18th Jan 2004, 22:31
Hello all,

I want to who has got a job flying jets (just jets) after studying modular at an establishment other than oxford? How long did it take you to get a job and how old are you.

Just those who have secured jobs to respond please!

:}

redsnail
18th Jan 2004, 23:16
38 years old.
Did all my stuff in Australia. Converted my Australian ATPL to a JAR one in 2002.
Got the CPL in 1991.
Finally cracked a jet job after flying pistons and turboprops for ~10 years.
I don't think you really know or understand this industry too well.
Are you really going to knock back a turboprop job if one is offered to you?

reido
18th Jan 2004, 23:36
Obviously don't know the industry well, I'm not in it.... trust first reply to swagger away from the rules of the post....

:=

Snigs
18th Jan 2004, 23:42
Don't be such a tw*t reido

You'll get no reponse with an attitude like that, and come to think of it, it's a stupid question...

reido
18th Jan 2004, 23:57
How can it be a stupid question? It was so stupid in fact, that snigs had nothing better to do but read it! lol. Reply number 2 veering away from the question..... oh dear.... no more replies from the malcontents please- can anyone give any anecdotes not urban myths on those who have obtained employment after following a modular course in the UK (or even distance learning) and have found themselves jobs?

redsnail
19th Jan 2004, 02:29
Actually, I think I did answer the question. I haven't been to Oxford except for one day's worth of Performance brush ups. I have done the licences MODULAR. Believe me, it doesn't get more modular than the way I've done it. And yes, I have finally got a jet job. So I had to fly pistons and turboprops, big deal. You want an answer, you got one. You don't like it? Your problem.
BTW, you may want to look at how you've actually phrased the question. You'll see a pretty basic grammatical error in it.

scroggs
19th Jan 2004, 03:24
If you want an answer that has any chance of satisfying you, you need to be more forthcoming about what you want to know (think you forgot that word in your question!) and why.

As it stands, you appear to be suggesting that you will not lower yourself to fly anything but jets after your modular training - should you actually embark on such training. That kind of attitude will not endear you to those here who have worked their arses off to get piston and TP jobs so that they have some chance of keeping a roof over their heads while they work towards a jet job. Nor will that kind of attitude stand you in good stead when you present yourself to the likes of me and try to convince us that we should employ you.

A bit of humility and sensitivity to those who have gone before you would not go amiss.

Oh - I fly A340s. Is that OK?

Scroggs

G SXTY
19th Jan 2004, 03:33
I know many people who've found themselves jobs after doing modular training.

Unfortunately they all started on turboprops, so I wouldn't dream of boring you with their stories.

Sorry. :hmm:

scroggs
19th Jan 2004, 17:52
Reido has been banned from this site. He complained about the reaction to his post; I replied to him thus:

Yes, that answer was over the top, but your question - and your reaction to Redsnail (a very experienced pilot and a mainstay of Wannabes) - was guaranteed to elicit a strong reaction.

Either reword your question - showing some respect and credence to those who have done this before you - or prepare to be shot down by those who rightly take objection to the implication that flying pistons or turboprops for a living is somehow not good enough.

Your choice.

Scroggs

His reply is what earned him the ban:

Don't make me laugh scroggs you complete prat.... you are obviously the kind of person who reads this bull**** on PPrune all day as you must have sod all else better to do, it was a straightforward question and if you can't answer it then p*ss off and go and play on your playstation or something else more personal- don't send me private messages for christ's sake, I haven't got time to entertain you......

I don't particularly care what people here think of me, but I will not accept abuse of this nature from anyone. I am getting increasingly concerned about the number and nature of combative posts on Wannabes, and I'd like to make it clear that it's out of order. Banter is one thing, but more and more people seem to regard personal abuse as legitimate wordplay on Pprune.

Well, not on Wannabes. If you want to insult someone, do it in the pub - where the consequences may hurt a little more!

Scroggs

StudentInDebt
19th Jan 2004, 18:04
I did the old modular route with various FTOs other than Oxford, did PPL instruction for 3 years and I now fly jets. 2 of my ex-collegues are in the same boat, another 6 fly turbo-props.

GrantT
19th Jan 2004, 18:09
I can see him getting far in the aviation world. :rolleyes:

Superfly
19th Jan 2004, 19:07
Hey Scroggs , how does it feel to move from B 747 classic to A340 ?? Huge difference I'm sure :cool:

scroggs
19th Jan 2004, 19:32
Yes, they are rather different! As I'm a bit of a gadget freak, it's been quite fun learning the Airbus way of doing things, but I do miss hand-flying an aeroplane that does what you tell it, rather than doing what it thinks you meant! The A340-600, in particular, is a handful in a crosswind when close to the ground - Airbus have still got some work to do to get the control response right, IMHO!

IRRenewal
19th Jan 2004, 21:06
Most people have to pay for theirs, reido got his for free :D :D

PPRuNe Pop
20th Jan 2004, 02:08
Personally I don't believe the idiot has got ANYTHING. He has got an ATPL on FS2002 though. I believe I have come across this silly boy before.

PPP

Indeed I have.