PDA

View Full Version : gCAP approach plates

Timothy
18th Jan 2004, 21:37
Does anyone use the new gCAP approach plates (http://www.gcap.co.uk) ? I read 2Donk's rather underwhelmed review in Flyer Mag, and obviously that rather put me off, but on the other hand these plates do seem to offer some advantages over other offerings:

They are massively cheaper than Jeppview.
They don't require the mind-softening updates of Aerad.
They are an easier size than the AIP and, more importantly, include RVR minima.
They look much simpler to read than Aerad and Jepp, just the removal of all Cat B,C and D data makes seeing things at a glance hugely easier. 2D makes the point that some vital data is missing, making timing and LOC-only descents more difficult or impossible, but with the addition of BRNAV GPS and the 300'/nm rule of thumb event this is not a showstopper, and in some ways the removal of data makes the glancing at data which is there easier.

A big disadvantage is that they only cover the UK, but presumably if we show willing to buy this offering the supplier will think about France, Benelux, Germany and Spain as a future enhancement.

So, any opinions from users?

I am cross posting in Rotorheads and Private, as the offering seems equally positioned at both.

Timothy

Helinut
18th Jan 2004, 22:18
I had a look at these a while ago - couldn't really make my mind up, largely because at the moment, I do not get to use plates in anger, so to speak. It is only by using them, that you would really get to know how they work for you

The basic idea of CatA only plates is a great idea for heles and slow planks, much less chance of getting the information wrongly interpreted. It must certainly reduce the chance of interpretation errors.

Like Timothy though, I think the simplification process may have gone too far in 1 or 2 areas, so that some useful info is NOT included.

Incidentally, the quoted website does allow a sample to be downloaded, for those who may be interested.

The mode of delivery of these plates via the www is certainly new, and an interesting way of disseminating such data.

Timothy
19th Jan 2004, 15:39
Incidentally, the quoted website does allow a sample to be downloaded, for those who may be interested.I couldn't find it :uhoh:

Timothy

Helinut
20th Jan 2004, 01:11
I think that the website may have changed slightly since I used it!

The sample on the Home page will print, but not at the quality of the normal plate

Timothy
20th Jan 2004, 02:01
I have been having an exchange of eMails with Nick Gribble, founder and MD, and he is very approachable and willing to listen to constructive comments. He sent me a sample to play with.

Timothy