PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth $$$$ ???

G5wannabe
18th Jan 2004, 10:20
So is it worth :yuk: 18,000 USD (CRJ700) to purchase a type rating in hopes getting a job? I've got Regional Airline Academy (US) telling me to go and do it because it will put my resume' "-out-there"! Advice sarcastic or heart felt would be much appreciated. I am sitting on 1400 TT; 330 MEL; 283 TURB. Also has anybody out there heard rumors or facts about RAA?

If I got the wrong forum excuse the mess...:O

XL5
18th Jan 2004, 15:15
Is it worth 18K? No, it's a rip-off. Actually, it's a very big rip-off.

With only 1400 hrs you can't even hold an ATP, best to get that successfully under your belt and prominently visible in the rear view mirror before worrying about type ratings. A type rating without the associated experience certainly does 'put you out there'......but not in a way that you'd wish.
Face the fact that presently seeking airline employment are thousands of well qualified pilots with ATPs and relevant experience; you have neither. A type rating just might (but only might) make a difference in the late stages of a tight job market immediately prior to a turnaround but that unfortunately isn't where this market is. Put it another way; there are two options. You can either be unemployed with a type rating in your pocket or unemployed with 18K in your bank account. You could of course acquire the type rating and subsequently be hired as a direct entry chief pilot in the domicile of your dreams and in so doing live happily ever after. I wouldn't bet 18K on it though.

The good news is that you're a current player with not inconsiderable experience. Build your time (pay your dues), wait for the market to improve (it certainly will) and then make your move without throwing away money in a naively hopeful shotgun attempt at securing employment.

Regards,
XL5

PS.....do you have a 4 year degree? Might want to put your 18K towards geting one if the answer's 'no' as most airline types have a degree to offer.

G5wannabe
19th Jan 2004, 23:19
Thanks XL5...
For the reply I find that your reply is in agreement with several others that I posted the same question to in other forums.
Since I have neither...the 18k in my bank account or unemployed less the 18k ~ maybe I'll wait.