PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Players... Again.

My names Turkish
18th Jan 2004, 03:59
While not being a completely useless at using computers, I am certainly not an expert. The broad strokes I have its just the fine detail.

I have decided I have to have a solid state MP3 player. I like the ability to carry around all your music where ever you go. I would like an iPod and I imagine they are probably the best product but I think they are very over priced for what you get. I am quite interested in the Creative Labs Zen Nomad:

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/hires/cl/EC.CL.HD001130.CN.JPG

Or the RCA:?

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/hires/rca/PC.RCA.RD2840.RT.JPG

When you consider that they are the price of the 10gb IPod, and they are both 40gb they seem like good value.

Anyway the question is this: Is there any restrictions of what files you can put on them or play. From what I read in the other Forums Apples iTunes uses a different format, and can only be shared with so many devices, I presume to stop piracy? Will their files work on the above machines. Will I be able to play my borrowed tracks from Kazzaa:E , on the Ipod and the Zen or RCA

PPRuNe Towers
18th Jan 2004, 04:53
Not quite. iTunes uses the flavour of MP3 you want in terms of sampling rate or their AAC format. You can mix and match for your own tastes. AAC is more compressed in terms of file size but in my experience of playing it to folks over a serious quality hifi system they prefer it. That, said about 20% said they couldn't hear any difference but they used micro systems as their main source of music.......

*Buy whatever you want but hold and use an iPod before you chose. Preferably with a Zen in the other hand.

*Bear in mind whether it will genuinely be music on the move or essentially static. The choice will be clear either way.

*Insist on using the software provided to manage the music. Even 5 gigs of tracks is unbearable if the interface to get it indexed, ripped and organised drives you mad.

Regards
rob

Naples Air Center, Inc.
18th Jan 2004, 04:53
My names Turkish,

If you are not going to go with an iPod then the next one I would recommend is the Nomad Zen. It is a very popular model.

Take Care,

Richard

My names Turkish
18th Jan 2004, 05:06
PPRuNe Towers: Sorry, I dont know what AAC is:bored: I do know exactly what you mean though, about holidng the two at the same time. My local shop has a display iPOd and it is pint sized compared to the others. I have no doubt that iPod is better. But its not $250 dollars better than the Zen. The Zen is bigger but its not exactly brick like, quite portable I would have thought.

PPRuNe Towers
18th Jan 2004, 05:20
AAC is simply a more developed file format. Smaller and, to most people, better sound.

Like I said, if you want 40 gigs or even 60 fill your boots and buy a Zen but only if you're happy with the management software. Personally I simply dont have 10,000 peices of music that meet my standards of being 'keepers.' For me the whole point of these players, whether solid state or hard disk based, is I never again have to carry the fillers and also rans in a music collection.

Then again I only keep an average of three shots per 36 snaps I take because they transcend the ordinary and become a photograph.

You mileage may differ.

Regards
Rob

BayAreaLondoner
18th Jan 2004, 13:47
What about the Dell?
Had I not bought an iPod, I'd have bought the Dell (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dj_20?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs). It seems to get good marks in reviews I've read.

Rollingthunder
18th Jan 2004, 14:43
Then again I only keep an average of three shots per 36 snaps I take because they transcend the ordinary and become a photograph.

Indeed, I keep one or two. Kodak has announced the death of "their" 35 mm cameras. Is emulsion based photography dead? Think not. But it's not healthy. Thread hijacked?

PPRuNe Towers
18th Jan 2004, 14:57
Someone squawk that hi-jack code:) :)

Well worth another thread. Kodak are up to things that are going to make whether to bother replacing a photo quality injet something to think about very seriously this year. Kodak Photo editing and organising software is rapidly appearing on phones for the 3000 booths they are just about to roll out after the Atlanta trials. The phone snappers are the cannon fodder to get the digital camera brigades print costs down to a level where printing your own just doesn't make financial sense.

In a pathetic attempt to appear not to be involved in this hijack may I point out the AAC music file format discussed above has spread to those who like to use a mobile/cellular as their music machine. Therefore PC based software/codecs are available other than within iTunes.

Bay Area:Let's pretend you're still in the market for a player: I'm not sure whether our readers are in a position to handle, and most importantly, listen to the Dell due to how they do business. I do have to say that anyone who buys any form of serious audio equipment without listening to it really needs to have a rethink. Everyone's listening taste in terms of good sound is different and there are also very distinct cultural differences - there is no other way to explain the success of Bose..... or those dreadful equaliser stettings. Good mid level US hi fi with superb reviews often induce vomiting here and vice versa. Japanese amps for the UK market are specifically tuned/reworked for it and have been for the last 13 years since the Pioneer A400 was introduced.

Additionally have a look at point three in the specs - the same fixed battery that makes the iPod the misbegotten spawn of the devil :sad: :sad: :sad: To put it in perspective replacements for iPod run at $49 usd or 28 quid in the UK, it's a standard Sony unit so replacing the Dell's pack should come in at the same or less.

Regards
Rob

PS Turkish: Just to keep focus on your original request could you confirm whether you are in the market for a solid state or a hard disk based player? It might be that form factor/size could be the most critical thing for you.

ORAC
18th Jan 2004, 17:09
PT,

Where have you found the iPod battery for 28 pounds? The cheapest I've been able to find is 45 (inc VAT).

PPRuNe Towers
18th Jan 2004, 17:25
I'll have to get back to you on that ORAC - entire crew are Mac users and they're fighting over the two mags I bought yesterday. Either the latest issue of Mac User or Mac Format (UK mags). I ended up with What Cellphone in this deal coz we've bust yet another phone.........

Yours with downloadable polyphonic ringtones,
Rob

Naples Air Center, Inc.
18th Jan 2004, 23:47
Rob,

I was watching The Screensavers the other night. They were showing how to replace the battery on the iPod:

Hack Your iPod (http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/answerstips/story/0,24330,3472745,00.html)

It does look like people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. There is not much to changing the battery. I do not see any problem with the average owner changing the battery in a matter of 5 minutes.

Take Care,

Richard

PPRuNe Towers
19th Jan 2004, 01:10
What!! Mac people open a case - I think I'm going to faint:ooh: :ooh: :ooh:

As you say Richard it isn't a biggie. It's the same for a Dell and if you look at the Zens it's a case of some do offer a removable battery cover and some don't i.e they're sealed and this varies for different national markets according to the Creative website.

If I owned any of them I wouldn't mind at all going on my experience of the iPod (original 1st batch, 5 gig model). It keeps it a minimal, clean, relatively dust, grit, and damp-proof form factor. Still on it's original battery despite heavy use.

Final recommendation is to listen for the player that suits your tastes and do it with a single pair of high quality buds or phones for consistency.

Regards
rob

Naples Air Center, Inc.
19th Jan 2004, 04:21
Rob,

You are right. I was thinking of PC People. MAC People opening anything computer related is a totally different story. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

My names Turkish
19th Jan 2004, 07:22
Sorry for delay n getting back, fecking highspeed is down. PS Turkish: Just to keep focus on your original request could you confirm whether you are in the market for a solid state or a hard disk based player? It might be that form factor/size could be the most critical thing for you.

And there was I thinking they were the same thing. Please explain the difference. I have been thinking about what you said though. When I think about it I supose 10gb really is a lot, and theres probably not much chance of ever filling it up.Starting to consider it seriously. Price for one stateside is $250 Vs. STG250 which is, well a bit of a scandal isint it?

arm the floats
19th Jan 2004, 08:41
I've recently been looking into MP3 players .I started looking at cheap little cigarrette lighter size unnamed devices on ebay for less than £50 and recently I looked at the iPod (pricey).If I was going to spend that sort of money (£200 +for the iPod)would I not be better off going for a Palm or Ipaq?
Are there any drawbacks in sound quality or useability with the handhelds?

Thanks
Arm the floats

PPRuNe Towers
19th Jan 2004, 19:48
Turkish:

Solid state MP3 players comprise a bit of Rom (flashable with a bit of luck) for what passes as the operating system and varying amounts of ram to hold the data (music) - just like your desktop computer.

Hard disc players mimic your computer even more effectively and adds more storage by a factor of ten or more. This allows them to hold much more than music so you get games, PDA facilities, picture storage etc depending on the manufacturer. The ram now acts as a cache - 20 minutes worth in the case of the iPod - to make it totally skip proof and allow instant forward/back operations.

I wouldn't get too excited about the extras like schedulers though - the lack of a keyboard makes them only practical for the most determined anal types:} :} It's strictly a mirror of the stuff you've prepared on your desktop or laptop. Good however if contacts are important to you but if that's the case surely it's all downloaded onto your phone???

Yep, 10 gigs is an awful lot of music. If you look at other peoples playlists and most accessed tracks you'll find that leaning on their throats will cause them to agree. If people really needed that much we would see many more homes with the 250 disc jukebox CD players that have been around for years. In reality they are very slow movers and have never taken off even at the going rate of (strangely enough) 250 quid. What are popular though are players with between 3+5 CD capacities - funny that isn't it? It could be argued that solid state players more than adequately match the needs of most users.

Therefore I'd also argue that the vast majority of 40 - 60 gig machines are mindless willy waving if folks claim to have lots of music on them. Sale by spec rather than use. Cor! For an extra X dollars pounds I can have thousands more tracks!!!! err, if I liked any.

As to the price disparities: all computer users get lumbered with this pound for dollar scam. What can I say other than get one in the States or investigate the advantages of buying one outbound from (chokes me to say this) Dixons in a UK airport.

Arm the Floats: Can't answer your query without an honest assessment of how you listen to music at home. Ghettoblaster, mini/midi system, hi fi??? It's all relative. These players will vary both between each other and depending on what is normal to you.

What I can say is that in my furtive lurking in establishments from Circuit City to the souks of the Middle East I've never witnessed a single buyer actually listening to what they are considering buying. We're talking about music here not musak. For most of us it's personal, emotional, exciting, engrossing, redolent of memories and something that needs a little more care taken than our usual decision making process in buying a peripheral.

Regards
Rob