PDA

View Full Version : Me ol' Psion

Basil
18th Jan 2004, 03:22
apropos nothing, I have to say that my Psion 3a is the most used and useful computing device I've owned (i.e. other than the nice FMS/EFIS/TCAS/GPWS etc which I don't own but stops me killing myself)
It does my diary, replaces my deteriorating memory, does a 747 manual loadsheet (with trim envelope), holds my pilotlog, tells me when it's sunrise/sunset (like are we going to have the big reactor in our face on the approach), wakes me up (but make sure it knows where it is :oh: ), confirms that really is Mars looking so bright (thought that would impress the boys but it didn't), does word processing, computes a lot of nerdy stuff etc etc.
What a pity the line is gone :(

amanoffewwords
18th Jan 2004, 04:54
I like me old Revo meself ...

But I'm less impressed with the Psion shares I bought the very same day they crashed.. :{ :( :sad:

Memetic
19th Jan 2004, 20:27
I'm a fan too, been through several! II,3,3c,5,5MX still got the 5MX in daily use, although I tend to need the screen fixed about every 2 years.

There is nothing else in the market that is as usable simpply because there is nothing else with a decent keyboard.

I heard - from a man who sold them the Bluetooth chips. That just before the line was canned Psion had a Bluetooth enabled version ready to ship - they were crushed apparently! :(

Mind you this: www.oqo.com looks pretty good, even if I do think the keyboard looks dubious.

Basil
20th Jan 2004, 02:37
Just had a look at the OQO website - looks v effective but has an estimated price of $2000 :sad: Smaller than the littlest Vaio. Must have a play when they hit the market.

Just flogged my 15" laptop on eBay - too big to carry - if I hadn't sold it then it was going to replace the ol' 233MHz desktop .

phnuff
20th Jan 2004, 23:18
Psion. Magic stuff.
Tried Palm - not as good
Now on CE machine. Better than Palm, but not a patch on Psion.

sigh

Jinkster
21st Jan 2004, 01:45
I have to Oregon Scientific from Argos complete with EPOC software and IR port - cost me £100 and odd. Anyone interested in buying it.

I presume not :rolleyes:

Keef
22nd Jan 2004, 08:41
Loved my 3a. Like all its predecessors, one day it just laid down and died. Fortunately I had backup, or it would have been a major disaster.

I bought an iPaq - which got me into deep trouble because of the "hole" in the diary function - it got me scheduled to give talks in two different countries at the same time because it didn't display a multi-day event when I was scrolling looking for a spare day.

I've since bought some excellent proprietary software for it, and am very happy indeed.

I've also got the "stylus holder doesn't hold the stylus any more" feature that all iPaqs seem to get.

Cornish Jack
23rd Jan 2004, 05:27
Psplendid Psions!!:rolleyes:
If any of the failures are of rechargeable batteries, there is a 'fix' which restores life and battery. This applies particularly to the Revo but may be applicable to others. It requires the Revo to be recharged while being super-cooled ... in the freezer. ...... wrapped in freezer blocks worked for me. Don't know the technicalities but it may be that the charger cut-out operates on a thermostat reference. Might be worth a try

Memetic
19th Oct 2004, 12:59
Just resurecting this threadd to say that the OQO is now on sale (www.oqo.com) and that if anyone wishes to fund the reseach i'll happily review it! :D

Lucky Strike
20th Oct 2004, 07:18
Hi Basil,

Psion still available at:

www.posltd.com

They are 're-conditioned' machines and when I phoned to enquire they told me they are built out of new parts. So I shelled out £100ish with some trepidation for one of these machines.

It appears to be what posltd say it is; it looks new, smells new works like new and two years later is still OK. The only clue that it's built out of bits is the case halves are different shades of grey and where it used to have a natty little psion badge on the top cover origally now has a bit of dymo tape with psion printed on it.

I just checked their website, they are still available.