PDA

View Full Version : information request from commercial pilots

normb
18th Jan 2004, 01:38
Hi,

I am a 28 year old male that is currently working as a process engineer. I started flying a couple of years ago and have been bitten by the bug. The plan is to undertake an integrated training course by an approved FTO in the states. {i have a class1 medical} However due to the high cost involved I an going to have to work for 2 more years before i can begin the course.
At that stage I will be 30 yrs old, do you think that this is too old too begin training?

Also I would be grateful if you could tell me what is involved in terms of cost and workload in converting from an FAA frozen atpl to the JAA equivalent.?

I would be extremely grateful for any information/advice on the above.

B2N2
18th Jan 2004, 08:40
You ready for this?
No you're not too old, that's just b#llocks.
But if you own a house, sell it.
If you don't borrow a bag full of money and go stateside.
How honest you want to be to the bank is your problem.
Get your FAA CPL-IR and all the flight instructor ratings.
Be broke for a year or two and get your FAA ATPL.
You will have run into numerous opportunities by then.
Do not just look back at Europe, be willing to stay in the US or work anywhere in the world.
As far as I know to convert from FAA ATPL you need additional 1500hrs in a plane with MTOW>20.000 kgs
If you go to a school that can issue an J1 (very important)visa
you can work on it for the remainder after you're done with your training eg if the training takes 6 months you have 1.5 years left on the visa.
Forget about working on an M1-visa that trick doesn't work anymore.
Good luck and check your private messages:ok:

mad_jock
18th Jan 2004, 09:24
Bollocks to a FAA lic

There are way to many of them on the market and there are mostly with wanky American degree's which afterwards they have the same as a UK school education but don't even touch what you learn with a JAR ATPL exam pass.

Do your hour building etc in warmer climates but get a JAR license.
Its piss easy converting toa FAA CPL/IR if need be the flight test and orals are a joke after passing the UK exams. Have to learn how to do chandels and partial panel approaches which ain't a problem. There RT is pants and you will know more about NDB approaches than the examiner.

Working as a process engineer i presume you have a Engineering degree from a UK Uni. Huge bounus on your CV for getting the interview, but not alot after that. As for age not a problem i am 32 years old and started flying at 29 and landed my first job.

MJ

PS you can get the whole lot done in the uK including FI rating for 35K if your a tight jock like me. I found living in FL to be hell on earth and had to stop myself from telling immigration that there was no way on this earth i would ever think about staying more than my temp visa would let me.

normb
21st Jan 2004, 01:45
Thanks very much for taking the time to respond to my query, I really appreciate it, the more advice I can get from people who have been there, the better for myself.

I hope to train with Delta Connection Academy in Orlando, has anyone ever trained with his school?

They offer a 2 year internship on a J1 VISA, either FAA or JAA and in the second year they offer employment as a paid FI. At the end of the internship could have close to 1000hrs logged, according to them.

Does this sound like a good route to take? Anymore advice would be really helpful.

Thanks again
normb.

B2N2
21st Jan 2004, 02:24
As far as I know Delta connection is a very good school but also very expensive.
I think they charge like $7500 far a PPL.
Bit over the top really.
Good thing is you can do everything with them and not have to move and have everything organized for you.
If that's your thing by all means, but remember it can be done a lot cheaper if you're willing to do the digging yourself.
Find your own flightschools etc.
A lot of them will be listening if you agree to do your training there in exchange for a FI job once you're done.
Just make sure they can get you a J1 visa.
There are some schools that offer you the all-in but the profit margin is also there if you know what I mean.
You don't have to pay $50K for something you can get elsewhere for $35K.
Don't know how much good the name of the school will do for your resume.
As for Mad_Jock,that's a little negative about the US, any chance the UK exams might be way too difficult for what you are actually trying to do?
Don't forget there is infinite more aviation going on here than over there.
Oh yes NDB approaches, something you really need to know for an airline career.
NDB=non directional beacon exactly what it is....the airport is over there somewhere...:}
They'll be phased out in the next couple of years and replaced by something decent like GPS approaches.
Did you have a bad experience with a school in FL perhaps?
PM me if you did......
Cheers

FLYbyWIT
21st Jan 2004, 02:29
Simple answer mate don't do it. Get your ppl done in dublin or take a few weeks trip to the states and get your ppl done there, come home and build you hours whilst studying the atpls. The J1 route is a f***ing nightmare, you could get the ratings done on your doorstep and instruct there too without having to tie yourself to 2years over stateside. PM me your queries and I will be more specific with the pros and cons.

B2N2
21st Jan 2004, 02:36
Now why is the J1 route a :mad: nightmare?
Know lots of people that have done it or are doing it.
To unfreeze the fATPL don't you need to fly 1500 hrs within 24 months? If you do not find a job pronto it's all gone again.
Somebody care to explain to me how you can do that as FI in the UK/Western Europe?
As a FI I have flown 3000 hrs in 3 years...
yes in Florida.

dorosenco
21st Jan 2004, 02:46
Normb,

I don't get it ! What are waiting for ? Start your ATPLs distance learning from home and keep your day job, for god's sake !!! Keep your day job !!!
There is no point in doing an integrated training if it is to do it in the US. The only Integrated training that's worth something is if the school helps you land your first job, Delta Academy WILL NEVER DO IT !!! Try Oxford if you want to go Integrated hoping for a job at the end of your training, it is not guaranteed.

Keep your day job and go modular, forget about the US. Get your PPL in the UK if you don't already have it and then go Distance Learning for 12 months while keeping your day job. Do your time building and pay as you go. Once you got all your ATPLs passed and 180TT, then go full throttle for your CPL/IR. You can get it done in 8-10 weeks. Then start applying, try CTC ATP Scheme also and see if it works out ...

good luck,

englishal
21st Jan 2004, 15:48
Why pay £30,000 when you don't need to? Who gives a toss where you get your licence in the long run. Trouble is some people need or like everything handed to them on a plate, they have no ambition to go out and research what can be done and for how much (not having a dig at normb, but some of the others on these forums)

I know of a company in the US, specializing in taking UK/ICAO PPLs with 150 or so hours and training them so they walk away with a JAA fATPL, FAA CPL/IR, including all conversions (carried out in the UK), in ten weeks (minus ATPL exams). Cost is £13800. I won't put their name on here as I am not intending to advertise, but doing some research will save you a shed load of cash in the long run! :D

Cheers
EA

Send Clowns
22nd Jan 2004, 18:21
B2N2To unfreeze the fATPL don't you need to fly 1500 hrs within 24 months? No.