PDA

View Full Version : Expansion at BHX any news?

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
17th Jan 2004, 23:20
After reading all of whats happening in the northern region and Coventry etc etc what is bubbling under at BHX at the moment and for summer

I know there seem to a number of new Scandinavian routes either on line or due but is there anything else

Gold India Bravo

larry walker
18th Jan 2004, 23:12
I think this year will be one of consolidation for BHX, following last years record of nearly 9.1m pax.

The airport are currently forecasting between 9.8 and 10m pax this year, but it is difficult at the moment to see where the increase is coming from.

At the moment Emirates are commencing double daily in March to Dubai, flybe are adding Perpignan, but dropping Cork, and new transatlantic carrier flyblu are due to commence to three points in Florida in early June.

As far as I am aware Skyways have not yet confirmed their Stockholm service.

Duo are adding flights to Edinburgh which link in with their Scottish operations. They are also launching a weekly summer service to Cagliari, Sardinia, which I imagine is linked to a tour operator.

Ian Farquharson
19th Jan 2004, 03:19
I agree with everything Larry has written, the only other possible new service maybe from Mahan Air to Tehran with connections to the Indian Sub-Continent, see the route map at www.mahanairlines.com.

The airport are predicting between 9.8m and 10m pax in 2004, it is hard to calculate where the additional 900,000 pax are, the additional Emirates rotation should add 100,000 and the current Ryanair schedules only started in Nov 2003, therefore this should mean 200,000 extra pax in 2004.

So my estimate would be 9.5m max !

LGS6753
19th Jan 2004, 03:28
The big unknown revolves around the IT industry. 2003 saw lots of reductions everywhere, with flights consolidated or cancelled. If the tour operators suffer again (and IT bookings are down in January so far), the charters will suffer. So fewer AMM, BY, MON, TCX, MYT etc.
Also, what effect will TOM have on Birmingham? If they are moderately successful, their 4 737s will carry around 250,000 pax during summer alone (May-Oct). Some of this will cannibalise BHX.

Bagso
19th Jan 2004, 22:51
I had heard that all the PIA transatlantics were stopping with the imminent arrival of the 777 but maybe I am wrong.

BHX cannot handle 777 without significant loss of performance.

PIA are apprently due to start daily Manchester - Toronto services later this year, with Chicago to follow.

larry walker
20th Jan 2004, 03:17
Another new BHX service has been announced today.

Aer Arann are to operate from Galway commencing on Monday, 3rd May. Flight details, frequencies, fares to be announced later.

More good news for BHX.

Larry Walker

larry walker
23rd Jan 2004, 03:00
Continental are to introduce a second daily flight to Newark from mid-June until at least the end of the summer schedules.

The flight, like the existing one, will be operated by a 752.

Departures from BHX of the two flights are likely to be at approx. 1015 and 1215. This will ensure good connections at Newark for both services.

Interestingly double daily will give BHX more seats than MAN on CO.

This is excellent news for BHX.

Larry Walker

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
23rd Jan 2004, 07:56
when is this being announced?

Why use 2 B757 a day rather than a wide body flight, doesn`t make an awful lot of sense over a 2 hour period unless it`s because you can`t get a B777 or B767 400 in with an economic load.

I know which I would choose but good luck to you at BHX and hope it works for you

Golf India Bravo

lambchopboy
23rd Jan 2004, 16:58
a lot of people prefer frequency to width of aircraft...not everyone is into aviation and sitting on a wider aircraft.

larry walker
24th Jan 2004, 02:35
Replying to Golf India Bravo I believe there is a press conference early next week about Continental.

Rumours in the Birmingham area suggest that the airport pushed for added frequency, rather than a wide body.

Larry Walker

larry walker
25th Jan 2004, 05:54
The additional CO service is now in the timetable and commences on 15/6 and runs at least until 30/10.

Flight numbers are CO32/33.

Larry Walker