PDA

View Full Version : Conjunctivitis from a flight?

Jerricho
17th Jan 2004, 18:55
Hey all,

Unfortunately returning from the annual trip to Australia I managed to pick up a nasty case of Conjunctivitis.

Dragging my sorry butt to a doctor she asked me some surprising questions. Had I been in a hotel or anything like that. I mentioned I had just been on a long flight. She asked had I used one of the pillows provided. Seems she thought it was the probable cause.

Anybody else heard this one before or got any thoughts?

mono
17th Jan 2004, 20:38
On our a/c the covers are changed on the turnround, so I find it unlikely.

TamedBill
18th Jan 2004, 00:03
It's quite infectious and I think it's very easy to pick up from towels/face flannels etc so I would imagine the same for bed linen, hence the hotel question. Cats are good carriers also if I remember rightly.

Jerricho
18th Jan 2004, 05:12
Thanks for the reply Mono, but a further question. What about the situation of a flight (this will probably give the carrier away, but I have mentioned them elsewhere already, so too late!) with a 2 very short stops (about 1 hour). Every body off the jet, stuff gets dumped on the gound and shifted around. Kind of possible? I'm not trying to portion blame, just curious. These things happen.

A/P Disc
18th Jan 2004, 05:38
I got it once on an airplane. Developped really
quickly. I got it from rubbing my eye after having
been to the washroom. It is very contagious.
So now I always disinfect my hands a couple of
times during the flight.

My doctor told me that all the equipment used
during the diagnoses of it in hospitals etc have
to be cleaned to the extreme.

Rgds.

gingernut
19th Jan 2004, 17:58
Idiots guide to spreading germs!

1) take a number of organisms which spread germs through droplet infection. (Sneezing and coughing etc.)

2) Sit them close together in confined space. (sealled aluminium tube is ideal). Try not to let them move freely.

3) Pump droplets through enclosed space.

4) Add stress to said organism by pressurising cabin to 8000feet. Try feeding alcohol and coffee to dehydrate organism.

AVOID FRESH AIR AT ALL COSTS.

Excuse the sarcasm, it is after all Monday morning.

PS Conjunctivitis is usually self limiting, depending on the cause. Go and see your doc if its not cleared up in 4-5days.

Traffic
19th Jan 2004, 19:44
Chief suspects would be the washroom and the hand towels.

Never ever wipe your eyes with the wet towels, even if they are sealed in little plastic wrappers.

Never rub your eyes after using the washroom.

Carry some lavender or other disinfectant type gel for your hands.