PDA

View Full Version : Mile High

Feefee
17th Jan 2004, 13:07
What do you people think of Mile High clubs?

And What aircraft is best used for it?

:}

I am genuinely interested by the way.

fl twotreezero
17th Jan 2004, 13:13
I heard of a mob out at Jandakot who operated a Sceneca for this purpose about 5 years ago. An interesting way of getting your twin time up!!

:E

robair
17th Jan 2004, 13:15
They sounds good but you would need an aircraft that is not sensetive to the change in the CofG and is not effected adversly to the rocking motion of the turblence that would be experienced.

Possibly a surplus F27 or may be a Dash 8 or on of those Ex-anset 767's (with out the cracks in the tail preferably) or does any one know of a spare 747????

ROB-x38
17th Jan 2004, 13:26
Anything with a dual-axis autopilot is ideal.

And has anyone heard of a secret 'joining the mile high club' txpdr code which will clear your way through CTA with minimal hdg/alt changes from ATC?

Sounds like someone's creative thinking to me but i'd love to know it if it exists! :E

Ash767
17th Jan 2004, 13:43
Rob-x38

Perhaps the transponder code could be 6666 Spoken in an New Zealand Accent! :p
Ash767:ok:

Black Baron
17th Jan 2004, 14:18
By far the best aircraft to try this in is the Cherokee 140.
Firstly you must give a thorough briefing to your partner, and check that they are in a suitable condition to carry out the manouevre, with the IMSAFE checks.
After establishing that both parties are in the clear to proceed, you must carry out your HASELL checks.
Then your partner climbs into the back seat, folds down the back of the right hand seat, placing a cushion over the flight manual protuding from the pocket in the back of the said seat.
Your partner then adopts a kneeling position on the cushion, leans forward and places a palm on each rudder pedal.
It is important that she keeps a close eye on the balance ball, and manipulates the rudders accordingly.
You then climb on top of her and regain control.
During the in thrust phase it is essential to hold some back pressure, otherwise the nose will drop, and likewise the rearward motion must be counteracted by a slight forward pressure on the controls.
Once you are happy with straight and level, some climbing and descending is permitted, and rate one turns.
If however the pilot holds an aerobatic rating, and has completed the basic 5 hours "familiarisation of copulation in the 140", then it is possible to experience "negative G- sex" by violently lowering the nose, or for extra penetration, performing a max rate turn.

I like to call this the manouvre the "Piper Wheelbarrow".
I hope this helps

:ok:

VH-ABC
17th Jan 2004, 14:22
A number of years ago now, when I was a struggling uni student with a brand new commercial license, I started my own "Mile High Charters"... no AOC, no registered business using a hired C172 that I flew over Brisbane CBD at night!!!! Did half a dozen trips with couples using the cost sharing excuse to make it sort of legal.

Just requested AO60 from BN App and did orbits over town until the couple were "satisfied" with their experience.... or their half hour was up. Was a good way to get on the way to the night experience hours needed for the ATPL too.

The C172 definately wasnt the ideal aircraft for this "job" though... put me a little bit close to the action if you know what I mean.

Aboveglidepath
18th Jan 2004, 18:47
The secret xpndr code is of course 6969!:E Great thread:ok:

No Nines? :\
That's why its a secret code... :=

Mooney Driver
18th Jan 2004, 20:16
That would be most appropriate, but, unfortunately, there are no "nines" on a transponder.

Desert Duck
19th Jan 2004, 18:05
DH104 / Dove was a good aircraft for the job, the pilots controls could be removed allowing a little extra room - remember to keep flying with right hand on co pilot cotrols. It did help if the lady was flexible.
I understand that membership had to be renewed annually.
:O

TurboOtter
22nd Jan 2004, 22:45
You guys are spoilt!!
Try a 185:D
I you have the will then any aircraft can work:D
Anyone willing to lend me a 150?;)

First time for me, my flight plan was for 500' and below. When I strangley asked for a request to below 7000' Flight service new excately I was up to!!:cool:

Keep it stiff!

splatgothebugs
24th Jan 2004, 15:03
Not bragging BUT..........................

Not letting that one out of the bags, oppps I mean bag :)

Watched a thing on discovery a couple years back about a company which does this in the states using an aerocommander.

The aircraft is stripped out in the back apart from two standard seats which they require you to be in for takeoff and landing, the rest of the aircraft is a bed.

Very nice

splat

Luke SkyToddler
24th Jan 2004, 17:09
there are still quite a few companies around that engage in mile high club charters

There's a list at http://milehighclub.com/flights.html

splat you might remember this story, DT tells it whenever he's had a few ...

that attractive female instructor at our old school in the early '90s, who was well known to be having a highly secret liaison with one of her PPL students ... anyway DT swears blind that he was at the holding point while this bloke landed after one of his dual PPL-revision sessions, and as the aircraft touched down only one head was visible :eek:

nice work mate, if it's true :ok:

Thermal Bandit
25th Jan 2004, 06:38
Tales of old and bold has it that RFDS aircraft also make an ideal platform.

Twin with 3-axis autopilot.
Long night flights
Bed or sorts – and
a Flight Nurse

but it’s only a rumour :)

The Messiah
28th Jan 2004, 18:08
Forget SSR codes, you just need to request your clearance at 6076ft, and they soon get the message.

Works everytime.