PDA

View Full Version : Mexican merger?

Squawk7777
17th Jan 2004, 12:05
Just heard that Mexicana and Aerocaribe agreed to merge last week. Anyone know more? How will the pilots' seniority be arranged? Are the Aerocaribe pilots going to stay or laid off so that MXA can recall their pilots?

m_v_s_86
22nd Jan 2004, 03:34
Well, as I know, Aerocaribe is the regional airline of Mexicana, it is "property" of Mexicana.
What do you know?

Squawk7777
22nd Jan 2004, 11:33
It is planned that the name Aerocaribe is giving way to ....

Mexicana Express! (how original!?)

7 7 7 7

m_v_s_86
23rd Jan 2004, 06:08
Mexican and American Airlines will begin code-share flight in April. This, after the directors of Mexicana and American Airlines signed the papers yesterday at Dallas.
That looks good isn't it?
I think that is better to be "friend" of the biggest airline on Earth than being one of United.

Panama Jack
25th Jan 2004, 04:43
Do you think this will be only a code-share affair between MX and AA, or will it grow into MX becoming a full blown member of One World?

I am wondering if any of the contributors here know of the benefits and disadvantages to members of alliances such as One World, Star Alliance and Sky Team? Seems that some airlines are quick to join, others keep their distance (in Mexicana's case, they wanted out).

Keep us posted Squak 7777 on what happens on Mexicana and Aerocaribe's merger. It seems like it paves the way for regional types and mainline types to settle some of their adversarial differences. A friend at American Eagle tells me that his group and the mainline pilots have burried their sabres, given that in these tough economic times Eagle has given mainline guys a place to keep earning an income rather than making visits to the soup kitchen.

Squawk7777
25th Jan 2004, 04:47
m_v_s_86

I am not sure that the biggest airline (AA) is necessarily the best. I can echo Panama Jack's experience when I travelled with them. Additionally, AA didn't really make positive news in Brazil :\

Mexicana will leave the Star Alliance because of high payments, many SA rules, route disputes and most importantly because they were treated as a second-class airline. I cannot imagine that this will change much with the new alliance. :ooh:

Going back to my original post. Aerocaribe's pilots are member of ASPA (the Mexican pilot's union) but they are only being paid half of what Mexicana pilots make. The Flight attendants are not members of ASSA (the flight attendant union)

A bit of a mess there, I am afraid to say ... :uhoh:

7 7 7 7

P.S. Here (http://www.mexicana.com/g4mx/public/templates/Main/0,3292,,00.html?templateLink=|g4mx|public|news|NewsDetailF.j sp&newsId=1250142&sectionLabel=null&sectionKey=g4mx.corporate.news) is a link to the Mexicana/American codeshare agreement

m_v_s_86
28th Jan 2004, 07:56
Well, talking of something a little bit different. A friend told me yesterday that Mexicana is planning to replace its Fokker 100 fleet with brand new Airbus 318. And he told me that Mexicana is planning to give Aerocaribe its Fokker 100's so that Aerocaribe replaces its old DC-9 fleet.
Lets see........

Squawk7777
30th Jan 2004, 13:28
m_v_s_86

I heard the same thing. Additionally, it is expected that Mexicana´s value is going to drop so that Carlos Slim can aquire the airline at a cheaper rate. That contadicts the rumour that Mexicana had already been bought by him.

I am curious about MXA 767-300ER. Apparently, it is an ex-SAS plane. Does anyone know more about year of manufacture etc.?

7 7 7 7

m_v_s_86
31st Jan 2004, 21:37
Squawk7777:

I heard that Carlos Slim has not bought Mexicana yet but it will be thing of some months. Also I heard a rumor that Carlos Slim bought 20% of American Airlines. But lets wait some months to see how thing cook out.

About MXA's 767-300ER I know that it was an ex SAS but thats the only thing that I know.

Mexicana also signed a code share agreement with IBERIA yesterday. I think that Mexicana wants undoubtly to get into One World.

What do you thnk about it??????????????

Panama Jack
31st Jan 2004, 23:16
It almost sounds like Mexicana is heading towards OneWorld.

What I would like to know is who will replace the void left by Mexicana's departure out of Star Alliance in the region. I found out yesterday that US Airways will also be joining Star Alliance.

m_v_s_86
13th Mar 2005, 15:26
Aerocaribe will be the first Low cost airline over Mexican Skies. It will have a new name, and it will use the Fokker 100 from Mexicana. The first Fokker 100 arrived to Aerocaribe last week and it is flying under a white color scheme. The new airline will be revealed at April, and, as far as I know, it will continue to be part of Mexicana de Aviación.

Squawk7777
14th Apr 2005, 19:49
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/815890/M/

link (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/815890/M/)

not really sure if this is good news for the mainline pilots. LCC = less pilot/fa salary and "Click" taken over certain MXA routes.

The first 757 in the new colors seems to be ready for service. Apparently, the new colors save weight, the carpets will be replaced with more light-weight material and the uniforms will change into plain blue. The new and old rumour is that everything will look like Telmex and that Carlos Slim will buy/ has bought the airline etc.