PDA

View Full Version : Silly question

jimgriff
17th Jan 2004, 04:45
I am not a Helo pilot.

BUT

If I was, and had permission could I land anywhere which was safe?

This applies to the UK.

Sorry if this seems a silly question, but it is something that has passed through my mind many times.

Helipolarbear
17th Jan 2004, 04:49
Safe is a BIG word in the heli biz!!!! Lot of 'IF's associated with SAFE!!!!;)

EddieHeli
17th Jan 2004, 06:40
Basically yes if you have the landowners permission.
Obviously the approach and departure routes must also be safe and legal, so you can't fly into the middle of a housing estate and land in your mates back garden, even if is big enough.
You could however if he lived in the countryside with clear approaches.
Note also that it depends on the airspace of the place in question as well, so Durham prison courtyard is a no-go :D

Bravo73
17th Jan 2004, 08:51
And not so sure that HMP would give you their permission anyway... :E

Flying Felix
18th Jan 2004, 00:34
Never be embarrassed about asking a question.

The only silly question is the one that isn’t asked.
:ok:

Whirlybird
18th Jan 2004, 01:04
This is most definitely NOT a silly question. The answer is yes, but you need to remember Rule 5. There's no problem with the bit about "being 500 ft from any person, vessel. building or structur", because you're landing and taking off. But the rules for being 1500 ft above the highest point in a congested area still apply, I think (not absolutely 100% certain of this). And I think these apply for take-off and landing too, except for licensed airfields. So even if your mate lives in a housing estate but has a huge back garden that's safe to land in, it's still probably illegal.

I haven't had time to look this up, and I'm telling you from memory, so perhaps someone can find the relevant bit in LASORS and tell us all for certain. :ok:

MaxNg
18th Jan 2004, 14:39
Jimgriff

Yes

:D

ShyTorque
18th Jan 2004, 17:17
Whirly,

Rule 5.1.c refers to the 1500ft and congested areas.

There is a way round it, certainly for a twin engined aircraft. You can apply to the CAA for an exemption to the rule.

Not surprisingly, it costs money. If the CAA agree, an exemption letter is issued (you must have it in your possession whilst flying said mission). The exemption lays out date of flight, type and actual registration of heli, pilots name, and any other conditions, such as the requirement to operate under Class 1 / Performance 'A' conditions, so that an engine failure won't jeopardise anyone's safety.

We often have to do this, thankfully the company pays the £90 required for each exemption. :ok: