PDA

View Full Version : Best US Transatlantic Operator?

homesick rae
17th Jan 2004, 00:40
I know that this has been a thread before, but I just wanted to touch on people's opinions.

I recently flew a couple of times to the UK and back with US Airways, where the outbound was good on one occasion and terrible on the other, but the inbound has always been good.

Witness to both coach and business class, I find it ridiculous that they charge $5 for a beer in coach and also think that their business class is nothing special. The crew have always been nice and IFE is good enough.

I often do not get much choice as to who I travel with, but any experiences with any other carriers would be nice to hear about.

Thanks

HR

USE THE RUDDERS
17th Jan 2004, 05:43
Flew to ATL with Delta in Dec on B777.Found the cabin service to be very ordinary with no frills.
Got charged $4 for a beer and found the IFE was limited.For just over £200 I can't really complain.The cabin crew were polite and professional though.

Flew with BA to Detroit in '99 and found this to be excellent but that was post 9/11.

glynn-kayes
17th Jan 2004, 06:08
The best airlines on the trans atlantic routes by far are BMI and BA.No charges for drinks,fantastic british hospitality and good inflight meals ,nomatter which class you choose to travel in.I think BMI have the upper hand thought,what a fantastic service.I have had the pleasure to experience the NEW ECONOMY and the BUSINESS on BMI both to ORD and IAD and back and I can assure you all,it.s second to none,also I have flown BA CLUB WORLD from LHR to JFK and that was also fantastic with me sat in a cradle seat sleeping away,but I think BMI have the upper hand as far as business pax are concerned and even economy pax and BA come a very close second.As for VIRGIN,forget about travelling economy on their 747-400,s,cramped,very tight with drinks,and in my experience everything was an effort for the crew on my SFO-LHR flight,However I had a great AMERICAN AIRLINES flight from CHICAGO to HEATHROW a few years ago....................................UNITED,forget them.............................

FOZ
17th Jan 2004, 07:11
I have to agree with glynn-kayes, the BMI MAN-IAD and ORD must rank as one of the best transatlantic services. Service is good, food fine (for airmeals!) and cabin comfortable. Have used IAD route several times as it is a convnient gateway for Southern USA.
Recently, on a YYZ visit got re-routed on AC direct to MAN. Would have preferred original plan via IAD as the flight was not a patch on BMI.
Yes BA come second in my experience, but still rank above the American carriers.

BEST L/CONTROLLER
17th Jan 2004, 07:30
I've only ever flown with 1 US carrier and that was AA and I thought it was crap, I fly to L.A about 4 times a year, Ive flown with Virgin Yclass & Fclass, BA Yclass &Fclass, SN Yclass but the best one I ever flew on was Air New Zealand that was the best crossing ever, the service was out of this world, I had a first class ticket but I never fley upstairs on a 747-400 or any other series for that matter, so outbound from LHR to LAX I asked to downgrade to Bussiness class so I could fly upper deck, you should have seen the guys face who go to upgrade, he thought his xmasses had come at one, he also thought I was strange to downgrade but there you go,

ANZ best ever.

CHEERS!!!!!;)

BombardierCR7
17th Jan 2004, 09:04
We should include Canadian operators in this. Air Canada is amongst the worst airlines in the world. As a C Class Aeroplan Super Elite passenger (Star Alliance Gold Plus) I was once told to F*** off by a dispatcher after I offered myself for a re-routing from YYZ via LHR to MAN as opposed to the direct option due to overbooking.

She was however dismissed 3 months later after my formal complaint (with 7 witnesses!!) and bribed with a free flight from LHR to YUL. - I live in Germany and why would anyone want to go to Montreal!!

After around 200 flights with them in 2 years, I never flew with them again.

So best US airline across the atlantic - Continetal a/l without a doubt. Virgin the worst.

Just my opinion (all C class) -
Best aitlines in the world - Jet Airways of India and Adria Airways of Slovenia.
Worst airlines in the world - Cathay Pacific and British Airways