PDA

View Full Version : FLS UK Ltd R.I.P.

Billy Whizzz
17th Jan 2004, 00:17
To the 421 dedicated Engineers and Technicians of FLS UK Ltd affected by todays announcement at STN and MAN, does anyone else feel crapped upon by our Management?

I wonder if they need any Connies in DUB?? Because over there, "The Future's Bright, The Future's at Dublin!!!"

:mad:

Perrin
17th Jan 2004, 02:16
I missed the news what happed to FLS UK? Sorry to the ones effected they do tell some lies at their interviews!!!!!!

allthatglitters
17th Jan 2004, 02:17
http://www.flsaerospace.com/cgi_bin/index.cgi?id=ovgaligoitoetolvolgomv&action=view_article
Go to there website, the full story.

Jango
19th Jan 2004, 10:23
My goodness is this how they informed the work force...by a post on the web site ??? If so the HR director should be strung up!

HZ123
19th Jan 2004, 21:42
Might this not have something to do with some alleged damage to 737 a/c and the potential costs of repair under Boeings supervision.

I hope the guys can find work at Cambridge. Might this not also offer extra work to ATC at Southend who must be well placed to take on narrow bodied work and some of the FLS work force.

Billy Whizzz
20th Jan 2004, 16:13
HZ123,

Fls was not responsible for the damage found on the A/C as it was determined that the damage was caused during respray at sub-contracted bases, outside Fls. Boeing also found the same damage on other A/C around the globe. I wish people would stop bringing this subject up everytime Fls gets a mention on this Forum..

NEWSFLASH!!!!!!!

Hang on lads, there could be a new player in town!!

This article was taken from Flight International Magazine, 20 - 26 January 2004:

""
EXPANSION

ST Aero poised to set up UK operation for low-fare carriers

Singapore Technologies Aerospace (ST Aero) is in talks with several potential partners over establishing a new maintenance facility in the UK that will cater to low-fares carriers.

ST Aero expanded into Europe 2 years ago by opening a joint venture facility in Bournemouth with Cobham unit FR Aviation. But the 2-hangar operation is limited to wide-body heavy maintenance. ST Aero believes there is a market in Europe for it's total aviation support (TAS) service, which is now only available at it's main facility in Singapore.

"We are in discussions with various parties on some business potential that may see us expanding to other airports in the UK initially and possibly later in Europe," say ST Aero President Tay Kok Khiang.
""

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, I like Eddie Ho's Singapore Fried Noodles!!!

Good luck Fls, you'll need a lot of it!!
:E :ok: :E :D

eng123
21st Jan 2004, 19:26
Billy Whizz,

Sorry but I think you are wrong with regard to the damage to aircraft.The damage during paint issue first arose when a crack was found to the lap joint of one of a 737-200.
Following an investigation,the maintenance history revealed the aircraft was re-painted at Lovaux in the early nineties.FLS had purchased Lovaux,so making it it's first entrance into the aviation industry.
The cracked section was cut-out and sent for metallurgical investigation by Boeing,who assessed how many cycles had passed since the area had been scored by a knife.This co-incided with the amount of cycles since re-spray at BOH.So surely there are questions to be asked of FLS?
Without doubt,this is a worldwide issue.I myself have removed wing to body fairings using a knife to cut the sealant,but the depth of scores I saw on a section cut from a different -200 did surprise me.

coopervane
26th Jan 2004, 07:41
I was connying at FLS Man before xmas and the word on the street before the shut down annoucement was that SR Technic were in talks about taking over the place. Seems to me that some geezers in the FLS bean counting office aint quite got the big picture in mind.

For instance...... East Jet got that massive order for A319,s and what better place to stick em in for A checks than Manchester. With a fleet that size it would be like a giant car wash......one in one out and EJ would only have to dead leg from down the road at John Lennon. Instead, they now have the prospect of being squeezed out by Ryanair at Dublin.

A big shed like that shouldnt be left empty for too long and I only hope some outfit with real vision will do the deed.

Lets face it, like all British Aviation, Maintenance in the UK is gonna end up another piece of history.

Coop & Bear

Blacksheep
26th Jan 2004, 11:32
Not just history in UK I'm afraid Coop, but with international labour rates well below US$40 an hour at JAR145 maintenance organizations , maintenance is history at any place that charges more.

For example, Luftahnsa already fly all their A330s and A340s to the Philippines for C Checks .

Through difficulties to the cinema

One_of_the_Lads_1973
26th Jan 2004, 16:00
CSA in Czech Republic are also quoting ridiculously low hourly rates for maintenance.

Far below UK rates. No points for guessing where its all leading - its like the 70's and UK motorbike manufacturing when the Japanese ramped up their marketing.

Billy Whizzz
26th Jan 2004, 23:36
This is my latest conspiracy theory regarding the redundancies at FLS.

FLS has been instructed by a prospective purchaser that the sale will go ahead if the workforce (and their associated terms and conditions) are terminated. Once the workforce is down to the bare bones, the prospective purchaser steps in and acquires the facility. It then advertises vacancies for the positions recently desposed of by the previous owner, on reduced terms and conditions.

The only problem is that they will then have a load of Shinies on the same contracts as before, as well as a number of retained employers from the previous company. Are these then the redundancies of the fabled "Phase II"??

IMHO!!!

I wonder if Dublin will demand another 30% payrise now they have this increased workload?? :E :rolleyes: :suspect:

Billy Whizzz
3rd Feb 2004, 17:01
Well well, reference my previous post.

Apparently Dublin have demanded a 30(ish)% payrise!!! Am I some kind of Psychic or are they just predictable?

Also, rumours abound that they have given 14 days notice of "Industrial Action".

Are they so stupid that they do not realise this jeopardises the sale of the STN and MAN facilities (hence dragging out the uncertainty surrounding those "At Risk"), and as such, if it all falls through, then we are ALL well and truly shafted?!?!? Or do they just not care? :mad:

Just give us our money and let us get on with our lives. We can then watch the Ivory Towers at Dublin go to the wall all by itself, while we sit on the sunny beaches of Essex, sipping our "Pina Colada's"!! :cool: ;) :p ;) :cool:

stormin norman
28th Feb 2004, 04:24
To hear that FLS has gone is sad.Sadly airlines like EASY and
Ryanair will always go to whats cheapest and not whats best.
The UK's aircraft engineering is on the slippery slope down.
With airbus planning to offer maintenance checks as a package
when buying a new hull you don't need a crystal ball to see where its heading.

Good luck to all the guys ex Fls

mini
28th Feb 2004, 04:54
Lufthansa Technik Turbine in EINN announced 150 layoffs in the last few days. DUB won't last given the climbing costs of living in that place.

It seems that A/C MX is heading in the same direction as the textile industry a few years ago.

Hope all affected find something soonest.

:uhoh:

the egg man
28th Feb 2004, 23:39
one of the lads
i have seen the workmanship of CSA,very high quality and a very flexible workforce,they can do anything that any UK maint base can do,but also at a fraction of the cost of say FLS.
The average wage of a licenced engineer there is 600pounds a month almost a third of a FLS equilent,with no real union hassles that FLS have, and had in the past.
the future of our industry as you say will be in the former eastern block and asia,just like shipbuilding,cars,motorbikes and the rest.
AIR BERLIN and TRANSAVIA have moved most of there heavy c-checks overthere now.