PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Player Help

expedite_climb
16th Jan 2004, 19:54
A while ago we were given an MP3 player by the other halfs parents which they got as a freebie with something they bought (cant remember what).

We didnt have memory card at the time, so kinda forgot about it. I've just got a digital camera, and discovered that the MP3 player also uses the SD card. Plug it all into the PC and great, XP recognises a 'Mass storage device', (New trend), and I can copy MP3's onto it, but I cant play them on the player ? It seems to think there are no tracks on the card?

No idea what brand it is as very little written on it.

Any ideas ?

ORAC
16th Jan 2004, 20:10
What machine was used to format the card? If you formated it in XP, it may have formated it in NTFS. The MP3 player will want a card formated in FAT32.

You can check it and, if necessary, reformat it using computer management/dsik management.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Jan 2004, 20:39
expedite_climb,

Some of the older MP3 Players had their own software for loading MP3s. Others like iPod have a hidden directory structure for loading music. If you drag and drop it will store it but it will not allow the MP3 to play. (The reason this happens with iPod is to stop piracy. But there are guides all over the net on how to get around it.)

Take Care,

Richard

expedite_climb
16th Jan 2004, 21:32
ORAC,

Just reformatted the card in FAT32 (I think it was that anyway), and it still doesnt work.

I assume the MP3 files need to be in a specific directory (e.g. my camera uses / DCIM/Kodak6490

Question is what directory ? Cant seem to find the answer anywhere!!! Anyone know typical values?

cheers

ORAC
16th Jan 2004, 22:15
What is the make and model of the MP3 player?

expedite_climb
16th Jan 2004, 22:59
ORAC - that is exactly my problem! There is no writing on the outside of it other than "MP3 MMC & SD" on the front, no brand, no model, very odd!

If i go to the hardware tab of properties on the e drive (what it appears as), it has it down as a NEWTREND USB MMC Reader Bulk storage device.

Thats all I know unforuntately!

cheers

ORAC
17th Jan 2004, 02:54
If you haven't already done so, download (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0175119-9a5b-44c3-b1de-9b2a9aa6cff6&displaylang=en) Windows Media Player 9. That supports the down loading of MP3 files to portable devices. When you open it, there is a tab on the left side titled, "Copy to CD or device". See if it will recognise your player, you should be able to connect it up with a USB lead.

If it doesn't automatically recognise it, look in help under device drivers, it tells you how to find and download them from the WindowsMedia.com Web site.