PDA

View Full Version : Tiger

skyjockey
16th Jan 2004, 19:46
Can anyone tell me anything about SIA low cost carrier tiger.
Start up dates.
Requirements.
Will they be looking at expats?

Cheers

Whiskery
17th Jan 2004, 17:22
The only Tiger that has done any good out of Singapore is Tiger Beer !;)

Jim Morehead
17th Jan 2004, 20:30
I can add to this thread that I have met many of the former SQ guys who have come to CAL. SOme left on their own and some were "released". I believe that they are great guys and I want to thank the Singapore management for allowing them to come here. You've lost some good people!

CDRW
17th Jan 2004, 21:35
Jim

The SQ management will be allowing a whole lot more to grace your pastures - what generous chaps these SQ bosses are. I am sure that the pilots that join you will be treated better than "marginal workers"??

Skyjock - nothing has been released about any form of conditions - however if history is anything to go by I would think the package is going to be - well lets say not very generous at all. One just has to look at the 747 frieghter contract that SQ tried to put out. And if you are "ang moh" and have kids who are being schooled you will not afford to send them to international schools.

Whiskery is quite correct - the only good Tiger - is in a can.

LVL CHG
18th Jan 2004, 08:25
What types will Tiger fly - Airbus A319/20s or Boeing 737NGs? Any idea about initial routes?

Kaptin M
18th Jan 2004, 12:19
Probably a lot of the regional SQ and Silk Air routes, LVL CHG - because both of those companies aren`t going to have enough of their own pilots to crew their current flying, at the rate they`re abandoning ship.

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
20th Jan 2004, 17:03
Chaps,

Reckon the go here is that since the tie up is with SQ the old silk outfit will commercially take a stinger at the bank, so if they are using the old grey matter it will be silk that becomes the tiger or perhaps a silk wrapped tiger. Pun intended.

Well as SQ believes that monkeys can fly and hence pays peanuts the silky tiger will probably liquidate and rehire on half peanut pay and have lepricauns working for fools gold or meal coupons as the irish ceo was the catering boss at Ryan before.

Seems SQ have grabbed the CAAS by the short and curlies to rush through an AOC so politically and financially vis a vis SQ and Irleandia investments a.k. Tony Ryan ( deep pockets smart business man) lots of cash to burn overall to fight Value, Thai Low cost venture and Airasia (And believe me lots of cash will burn)

BUT, it was Mike O'Leary that built Ryan Air anyway (so where is he in the grand scheme of things)
So maybe Uncle Tony has other deals rather that the silky tiger in the breach, perhaps leasing and ops support!

But as the plot thickens Uncle Tony did spend a lot of time in Thailand in his Aerlingus days so I wonder why Singapore and not Bangkok. ummmm

So, back to the sudden boom in low cost carriers. The pay will be below market value but the successful candidates will pay good incentive and productive bonuses, well that how it's supposed to be but maybe, just maybe in Asia it will be low pay low bonus if any. After all it is one of the last places for major exploitation.

I do wonder though with all the Ryan Air, Jet Blue, Quasi Virgins and so on nobody is following the greatest model of all and that is South West. Food for thought is it not.

Happy Flying,

Captain Wooblah.

The Prisoner
21st Jan 2004, 08:10
My pennies worth.... I expect Tiger will be wet lease, maybe 2 aircraft, 737/717. The idea behind Tiger is to stifle the opposition, and put pressure on the incumbents to cut costs. When the dust has settled, in maybe 2-3 years, it will be proclaimed that western low cost = poor service, and in asia this does not work, and so Tiger will be quietly wound up. Value Jet and air asia will of course have had their teeth extracted by the SIA Tiger dentist to render them a bit player.
SIA will emerge even more dominant, with its crews firmly under the thumb. Maybe.