PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Options

Gentle Climb
16th Jan 2004, 18:44
1st post so please be gentle & forgive any basic errors!

I am currently seriously considering a change in career direction to become a commercial pilot. I have intended to pursue this aim for several years but have not had the resources to cover the associated costs for training. My business has just reached a point where it can more or less run itself and still provide me with a reasonable income whilst I undertake training and I also now have the assets to cover the training expence. My question relates to my age. I am 35 in March and I am concerned that this is going to present a problem for future employers. I have spoken with a couple of organisations who didn't seem able to give an indication of what my options would be and of the significance of my age in the recruitment process. My ideal scenario would be to work part time with my business and fly part time for an airline, although this may prove difficult initially.
If the flying career is completely out of the question then I can look at other options or develop my business further but I am seriously bored with what I do although it pays very well!

ps I understand that I have the required qualifications and good health that are required.
If this has been covered previously, then I apologise but if anybody has a comment then I would be grateful to hear them.

one dot right
16th Jan 2004, 18:58
If you have a business that pays well then stick at it and fly for fun.Speaking as someone that got their commercial licence at the age of 32,I can assure you that this industry does not look favourably on low hours pilots over the age of 25(ish).

Obviously when market forces come into play and the airlines can't get young/already type rated people then they'll take whoever is available,however in this economic climate I can't see that happening for some time yet(sadly)

I Don't mean to p!ss on your parade but you did ask the question!!

cheers.:{

1skydive
18th Jan 2004, 09:13
Hi Gentle Climb,

Don't be too discouraged. I am in a similar position as you and planning to start training in the next couple of months. There are a ton of posts here related to the age of people starting training. Do some searching and you will find all kinds of opinions. After you have spent some time reading all the posts (and there are quite a few) you'll be even more confused but you may feel better about whatever decision you make.

Good luck.