PDA

View Full Version : IR Renewal - The Facts?

topgundom
16th Jan 2004, 08:48
Hi Everyone.

I am an fATPL with 300hrs. I did my initial multi IR in June 2002. I would like to renew it but would like to know what the facts are about renewals.

Can I do both the multi and IR sections on a simulator or do I have to fork out for the aircraft hire for the test?

I have only done VFR Single Engine and IFR simulator flying (MCC) in the meantime and have not flown any multi engine IFR approaches since then.

Any help much appreciated.:(

FlyingForFun
16th Jan 2004, 16:06
Looking at LASORS Section F (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Lasors_Section_F.pdf), which relates to Class and Type ratings:F3.4 Renewal of Multi-Engien Piston (Land) Class Rating

Where license holders ahve been unable to renew a MEP (Land) Class rating for a period not exceeding 5 years from the date of expiry, they will be required to complete the following requirements:

i) The CAA will require no mandatory additional training. Applicants should complete training at their own discretion sufficient to pass the Skill Test.

ii) accordance with Appendices 1 and 2 or 3 to JAR-FCL 1.240 & 1.295. The renewal of an instrument rating should be combined with the class rating proficiency checkThis is the rule which seems to apply in your case, since your multi IR will now be 7 months out of date. Although I can't find anything that explicitly says so, it's always been my understanding that a "Skill Test" needs to be taken on an aircraft, not a simulator - so you are correct, you will need to fork out for the hire. I think.

FFF
-----------------

mad_jock
16th Jan 2004, 18:19
You can do the IR bit on a FNPT II but you have to use an aircraft for the MEP. But if you use an aircraft for the IR it will also allow you to revalidate your MEP.

Its worth while doing the revalidation at a school which allows solo sim sessions. Practise in the sim until you have your scan working and the checks flowing. Then 1 session with an instructor to make sure your not making acomplete hash of it.

1 trip in the aircraft just to get used to flying a twin again and away you go.

The examiners for the revalidation arn't as intimidating as the CAAFU although I have heard that the CAAFU aren't to bad for renewals either (this could be more a change in our attitudes than thiers)

My last one cost in the region of 900quid including test fee which was 1 hour solo sim 1hr with an instructor, 1 hr in the twin which also doubled as MEP test because the instrctor was a MEP examiner (bit of a fiddel that because the hire rate for Instrument instructing was more than solo hire plus test fee mep) then 1 hour solo plus test fee for the flight test.

Leeds flying school are doing a package

IR Renewal Training

Renewal Package - £995

Comprises 3 hours GA7 Cougar, 1 hour dual fnpt(I), 2 hours solo fnpt(I)

IR Renewal Test £150

Which seems pretty good value to me.

MJ

witchdoctor
16th Jan 2004, 19:41
Yep, all sounds familiar stuff.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, and off to Tayflite in Perth to renew the IR in their multi sim. £100 ph +VAT and £150 for the test. Seems pretty much the norm.

I couldn't get a straight answer out of anyone I spoke to except these guys. The upshot of it seems to be this;

CAA would prefer you to renew a multi IR in the air and to have a MEP, but it is not compulsory. You can renew just the multi IR in a sim (much cheaper) without any need for a MEP.

Obviously, if you're trying to sneek into the airlines too, then neither the IR or the MEP would be much use as you would subsequently end up with a multi-crew IR which is different again. However, nice to have what you can on the licence (especially a multi IR) as it helps avoid being the first CV chucked in the bin.;)

topgundom
18th Jan 2004, 21:05
Thanks FFF, Mad Jock and Witchdoctor.
That's cleared up a few things for me nicely.
Will get on the case soon.

Good luck with your repective flying careers.;)