PDA

View Full Version : Release of crash transcripts........Y or N?

squire
16th Jan 2004, 06:39
Release Of Crash Transcripts Debated
16/01/2004 07:19 AM
NewstalkZB

The Airways Corporation maintains that it has not been ordered by the Ombudsman to release transcripts of air traffic control tapes from a fatal air crash.

Media organisations are seeking copies of the transcripts into last year's Air Adventure crash near Christchurch, which claimed the lives of eight people.

Corporation spokesman Ken Mitchell acknowledges a letter has been received from the Ombudsman stating reasons the information should be released.

But he says the Ombudsman has made no order on the matter and Airways is currently writing a reply.

Mr Mitchell says that once the point is resolved, a decision will be made on whether the transcripts will be made public.

Variable_pitch
16th Jan 2004, 18:07
I'm presuming this relates to release of the transcripts prior to the full investigation being published, if that is the case then its a definite no. The media are not interested in the transcripts to enable the public better understand what may or may not have happened in this accident. Their aim will solely be to find an angle that will give a banner headline and increased sales/viewers of their newspaper/tv show. I believe that having the access to cvr (not in this case i'm sure, tower transcripts only i believe) etc allow both pilots and people from other professions an insight that can and does help prevent future incidents. Many of the factors that can lead up to an aircraft accident are not aviation specific and if we can all learn something from a tragedy then a little good has come from it. Once the report is finished then of course release the information and let us all see what occurred but without the blanket of an official investigation the media will set up their court and we'll all be drowning witches again

GA Driver
16th Jan 2004, 19:35
Spot on Variable_pitch couldn't have summed it up better. Once the report has been issued I can't see any harm.
All in the interests of better safety.