PDA

View Full Version : FAQ for Computer/Internet Issues

Front_Seat_Dreamer
16th Jan 2004, 04:54
Don't want to seem like I am jumping on the bandwagon with the worldwide access topic but is there any chance we could get a sticky "Why has my homepage changed?" or similarly titled topic.

I only ask as it now seems almost a daily occurence that someone pops by here with that question. And it is the usual suspects that answer with the very same answers all the time. I know that people (myself included) don't mind answering the questions posed within this forum and I accept that those who have the problems probably won't read through the entire forum to find what amounts to be the same question they need to pose.

I suggest a small topic with some basic computer/internet advice.

1. Get some Antivirus personally I recommend AVG (http://www.grisoft.com) which is free to home users and proves to be system easy.

2 Regularly use a product like Ad-Aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/) which will help remove spyware from your system.

3. If you are offered something free (software particularly) on the Internet check it out at Google (http://www.google.com) before accepting the download and this may just save you hours of computing agony or expensive repair bills.

I could go on as I have a list of advice I pass on to clients but I know there are others here that can also pass on some wisdom.

What do you guys think.

PPRuNe Towers
16th Jan 2004, 05:18
More than happy to sticky anything you collate amongst yourselves. I'm not being lazy or simply a smug Mac type - just not current enough on PC's to offer anything useful and there's another 70 forums to look after :confused: :confused:

Regards
Rob

Front_Seat_Dreamer
16th Jan 2004, 05:34
Thanks Rob

I will knock something up, however if any others have anything they would like to add then drop them in here and I can create a completely new post with all advice or PM me.

I think however you may have alienated one of out biggest contributor by mentioning that fruity bit of hardware you mentioned... ;)

Just ignore that bit Richard.

P.S. Am away for a couple of days so if nothing is done then don't think I have forgotten.

Timothy
16th Jan 2004, 06:13
POP-UPs

For once and all !!!

Timothy (ex WCollins)

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
16th Jan 2004, 06:38
FSD,

We kicked something like this off a while back [searches for thread] aha !

here it is (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71165)

Perhaps that would make a good place to start. I'm happy to help out if needed :ok:

Will/Timothy :confused:

The short answer is: "turn off JavaScript" :suspect: The long answer is: depends on your browser. What's your present preference ?

/RTFM

PS What's the significance of the split personality, btw ? ;)

PPRuNe Towers
16th Jan 2004, 07:00
I know that quite a few of our regulars have a store of url's to useful threads that would make a good basis for a cut and paste FAQ.

Don't think Richard is going to sulk too much. He has the distinct advantage of knowing that I too was once just as deep into the PC world (other than networking) as he is. I even have to own up to being a stalwart on the QDI forum when they ruled the best bang for the buck roost in the mobo world.

But PPRuNe grew and grew and took over my life until I had to actually use computers...............:} :} :} :} :}

Regards and ducking for cover:E
Rob

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Jan 2004, 08:15
I like the idea of a sticky with some of the basics listed. I know we see a lot of the same issues pop up in this forum. It would be good help having it listed at the top of the forum to help people. I just do not want to see a long, intensive post. It will only turn people off from reading it.

You cannot know everything that has been posted here. Two nights ago, I posted a new thread that had the same link as another thread that was posted over a year ago.

Pretty Cool (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115224) Jan 14, 2004

Cool clock (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72650) Nov 14, 2002

I just hope we do not end up with people replying RTFM or STFW. This is a great forum. I do enjoy that the people all want to help others, unlike Pvt Flying and Wannabes. (Where most people have hidden agendas.)

If we have a sticky that we modify from time to time to reflect the problems we see the most posts about would be a great start.

Richard

P.S. But we cannot let it get too techie for Rob's sake. ;)

Timothy
16th Jan 2004, 16:37
PS What's the significance of the split personality, btw ?When I first joined I went with the flow and adopted a handle...I couldn't be bothered to think of one, and the book by Wilkie Collins that I was reading at the time was on the desk at the time, so I used that.

The trouble is that a lot of people know me, I write for the mags, I guess that I just have the kind of personality that people notice (not always in a positive way :} ) and I was finding that more and more people were using my name accidentally in posts, which caused its own confusion.

So I thought, "oh f:mad:k it, I'll just adopt my real name."

Timothy

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
16th Jan 2004, 20:25
Richard,
I just hope we do not end up with people replying RTFM
They can't do that -- I have that option covered :D

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Jan 2004, 20:50
Timothy,

We are all glad you finally decided to come out of the closet.:D

Richard

Timothy
16th Jan 2004, 20:58
The short answer is: "turn off JavaScript" The long answer is: depends on your browser. What's your present preference ?Sorry, I missed this question.

I think the answer is much as I gave most recently about a week ago:

1) Do you mean MSN pop-ups, in which case do xyz
2) Change to Opera or Mozilla
3) If you must stick with IE use the Google toolbar

This is a great forum. I do enjoy that the people all want to help others, unlike Pvt Flying and Wannabes. (Where most people have hidden agendas.)Provided that you agree that Windows/Intel is infinitely better than Macs and that it is not safe to use Linux until the industry has got its act together then we are as one!:E :E :E

Timothy

Oh, and PS: Don't anyone rise to that..it was a JOKE OK?:}