PDA

View Full Version : Really good products

Grainger
27th Oct 2001, 21:50
OK, we all love to bitch and moan about rotten products and lousy service - myself included.

And let's face it, there are plenty of deserving companies out there who have worked hard for, and have earned, a good slagging.

But: I recently bought myself one of those portable jet wash machines - you know, the water comes out at 110 Bar - and spent a happy afternoon cleaning two cars and most of the paving around the house. It was brilliant ! To say that I was pleased with the results would be a masterpiece of understatement.

So I thought I would ask - has anyone else bought something recently that was really great, much better than you thought it was going to be, and you really would recommend to a friend ?

[ 27 October 2001: Message edited by: Grainger ]

Bird Strike
27th Oct 2001, 21:55
Migraine tablets called Zomig. Works wonders for me.

PilotsPal
27th Oct 2001, 21:58
Migraine tablets called Imigran. Also the world's best hangover cure.

More generally, for me it would have to be the power shower - can't imagine starting the day without it.

AerBabe
27th Oct 2001, 22:31
I know this is a bit sad... but I'm totally in love with my headset... it's fantastic :)

flapsforty
27th Oct 2001, 22:32
Skoda Octavia 4 wheel drive.
Origin of same put me off, but must admit the thing is a marvel. :)
BIG trunk, heated seats, manoeuvres like a dream and best of all, it claws itself up any snowy or slippery slope like a Sherman Tank.
While fancier brands, even armed with spiked tires, end up on ditches or spin their wheels furiously, my Skoda automatically kicks in the 4 wheel drive and never looks back.

And with the Teenage Flappers deeply mortified at possibly being spotted by friends riding in something so totally uncool ;) it even saved me a fair bit of driving the first few months.

On top of which, my beloved Skoda also drives on Diesel instead of petroø, so another savings there! :D

All in all a far better buy than I thought it would have been!

PS: Yes I did consider mentioning something about the Braun Anti Plaque Dubs, but thought better of it. :p

B.Loser
27th Oct 2001, 23:20
Number two behind Flaps with the vehicle entry - Ford F450 crew cab pick-up truck. With its four wheel drive, Powerstroke diesel, 12,000 lb. hydraulic winch and ton and a-half suspension there hasn’t been any place I wanted to go, thing I wanted to pull, hill I wanted to climb, or anything else I wanted to do that I couldn’t – and as fast as I wanted to do it.

Flaps, you’re right about the “totally uncool” looks too. The only time the teenage Loser wanted to get caught in my truck was when it was time to go mud-hogging. She also thought it was great she was the only one able to be long gone when the state troopers arrived.

Better than that – the Ex-Loser wouldn’t drive it ‘cause, one; she couldn’t figure out how to navigate in it – especially in the mall parking lots and, two; she hated hauling around the step ladder she needed to use to get in and out.

I gotta ask – “heated SEATS”? And I thought I was getting fancy with heated mirrors.

Cardinal Puff
28th Oct 2001, 00:41
Parker Teenie Two I've lusted for since 1978.

SIGH!!.... Just need to convince the present owner he doesn't want my baby any more.

Grainger
28th Oct 2001, 01:16
*********:

Close... but: world's best hangover cure gotta be the Irn-Bru.

Rehydrates, replaces your blood sugar AND iron in one go.

For a REALLY bad hangover, just whack your Alka-Seltzers straight in there and you're done :cool:

Grainger
28th Oct 2001, 01:24
.... and flaps: the Octavia is indeed a hidden treasure. Nice one. :cool:

redsnail
28th Oct 2001, 01:02
My Ducati. I miss him so much. ;)

tony draper
28th Oct 2001, 01:33
How come stuff like jars of Marmalade, Lemon Curd, pickled red cabbage don't keep worth a damm now, unless you keep them in the fridge.
You never used to have to do that.
Open a jar of Marmalade, put it in cupboard go back in a few days and its growing pennicilin, same with Pickled cabbage, of which Draper is very fond, unless you pouch the whole jar it turns into black mush in 24 hours.
Damm tree huggers, why don't they put that preservative, artificial colouring, monosodium thinymate back into stuff, then my fridge wouldn't be stuffed with things you never had to keep in the fridge.
Bleat bleat bleat!!! :(

[ 27 October 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

Tonkenna
28th Oct 2001, 01:48
My Aprilia Havana Custom moped, cheap to run and looks cool. Its great.

Oh yeah, Technical Lego, any of it. I'm a big kid at heart and I know its sad, but who cares.

Grainger, you are so right about Irn-Bru, better than any tablet or potion.

Tonks ;)

BuzzLightyear
28th Oct 2001, 01:57
Viper 5.0metre(Whacking big kite) and buggy.

Can't beat whizzing along the foreshore at low tide, doing 30mph with yer bum 2 inches off the deck. Feels a LOT faster!

NoSurrender
28th Oct 2001, 14:23
Plastic magpie decoys.
They`re so effective I can whack magpies with my silenced rifle instead of upsetting the neighbors with a 12 bore.

Loki
28th Oct 2001, 14:52
The diesel engine that goes in various French cars.

Its one of those new fangled high pressure direct injection jobs with a turbo charger..`swonderful!

And Vaseline, don`t forget Vaseline....and do they still sell Swarfega?

Reimers
28th Oct 2001, 19:47
Staff travel tickets (these days)

BUMPFF
28th Oct 2001, 20:46
# Johnnie Walker Red Label, when you can get it.
# Top-of-the-range Panasonic microwave - saves a fortune in electricity costs and cooks to perfection
# Volvo V70 - beautifully engineered breeze block.
# Havana cigars

foghorn
28th Oct 2001, 20:52
I'm so glad that I'm not alone in using the mighty hangover-clearing powers of Irn Bru - it works a treat, especially after a glass of Alka Seltzer XS.

ShyTorque
29th Oct 2001, 04:53
Sliced bread.

Nothing REALLY better since. ;)

traveler
29th Oct 2001, 05:59
" So I thought I would ask - has anyone else bought something recently that was really great, much better than you thought it was going to be, and you really would recommend to a friend ? "

Revo sunglasses !

:cool:

nearlynormalmike
29th Oct 2001, 06:19
My Leatherman tool.

If only I could take it on board with me.

Axerock
29th Oct 2001, 10:54
Loki.

Vaseline and Swarfega. No - I don't want to know. But you are one sick puppy!

:eek:

Loki
29th Oct 2001, 22:24
Axerock:

Cue for a joke...

Did you hear about the newly married couple who didn`t know the difference between putty and vaseline?

All their windows fell out!

Axerock
30th Oct 2001, 22:42
Loki.

Right - you started it.

I use vaseline for sexual puposes. I rub it on the bedroom door knob so that the kids can't get in.

GROUNDHOG
2nd Nov 2001, 02:14
WD40 - brilliant stuff, got a wasp in the car once grabbed the can and sprayed it --- the thing didn't die but it stopped buzzin'.....

Travelling Toolbox
2nd Nov 2001, 05:33
"Once A Year Path Weeder" - Guess how often I need to use this!! :D

Goroka Coffee - fresh ground and the smell of it brewed in the morning :)

edited to add an s to "guess" and cos I suddenly reallised this is my "ton" post - Woowho!!
:D

[ 02 November 2001: Message edited by: Travelling Toolbox ]

min
2nd Nov 2001, 06:12
Hand held massager with various attachments...hours of fun for the whole family !!! (allegedly...)

M.

Travelling Toolbox
2nd Nov 2001, 07:51
Sorry this dates me a bit guys/ladies, but the first time I really got the hang of a Chadwick (vibration fixing magic box for helos) after years of stick and flag tracks. :rolleyes:

Must admit I look back on the old days fondly. Pushing a flag into a main rotor or a rubber on the end of a stick into a whizzing tail rotor was fun and a bit of a rush when I was young.

Groundgripper
4th Nov 2001, 14:56
Yes, they do still sell Swarfega, BUT....!

It's marketed by Polycell and now contains orange oil,cornmeal hand scrub, wheatgerm, jojoba and vitamin E. Bet all that's really appreciated by the characters down at my local tyre and exhaust fitting place!

What was wrong with the old green gunge that used to go all cruddy round the rim of the tin?

Mycroft
4th Nov 2001, 18:00
Swarfega is made by Deb, and has not changed for many years; however there are also such things as Swarfega Orange and Tufnega; both of which contain non abrasive granules (the Swarfega Orange is as described above)

Groundgripper
4th Nov 2001, 20:04
I was a bit surprised when I saw what came out of the container, according to which it is Swarfega All Purpose Hand Cleaner manufactured by Deb and distributed by Polycell Products. I certainly couldn't find the green gunge at my local DIY shop.

Funny thing is, the Deb website doesn't mention Polycell and the Polycell website doesn't mention Swarfega. And you are, of course, quite right Mycroft, Original Swarfega is still available - I just got the wrong bottle! Never mind, at the rate I use it it shouldn't last more than five years.

[ 04 November 2001: Message edited by: Groundgripper ]

Ireland's Call
4th Nov 2001, 20:30
Really good products?

I agree with BUMPFF, Havana cigars, Montecristo No.4's or a nice El Rey del Mundo
choix supreme Robusto, a beautiful experience, as Freud once said to one of his patients, "by not smoking a fine cuban cigar, you're just letting one of lifes most enjoyable and simple pleasures pass you by."

My Canon digital camera, it's just brilliant and so simple to use.

Mobile phones, even though they can be bloody annoying, where would we be without them. Caller ID especially brilliant!

Guinness, need I say more?! :D

The Heathrow Express, don't laugh, I think it's a triumph.

TowerDog
4th Nov 2001, 22:09
CSY (Caribbean Sailing Yachts) boats.

They were so well made that the factory went out of business: It took several years for the bean counters to figure out that each boat cost $10,000 more to make than they sold 'em for.

Now they are the best kept secret on the used boat market: Strong and very well built for about a quarter of the price of a similar new boat.

Needless to say, I am pleased with my boat. :cool: