PDA

View Full Version : Best WWII novels - bombers (ETO)

MLS-12D
16th Jan 2004, 01:08
Here are my votes for the best novels regarding the Allies' bombing offensive against Germany:

RAF: Len Deighton, Bomber

RCAF: Raymond Souster (pen name: "John Holmes"), On Target

USAAF: John Hersey, The War Lover

Honourable Mention: Nevil Shute, Pastoral

Any other contenders? Can anyone recommend a good novel from the RAAF perspective?

SPIT
16th Jan 2004, 01:23
It was last published in 1969 and if you can get it try THEY HOSED THEM OUT by John Beede.
It is a cracking read (non fiction)

You want it when?
16th Jan 2004, 01:43
"Lancaster Target" - Jack Currie / Leonard Cheshire has a brief mention of RAAF crews.

At a school parade...

"You'll note my uniform is a deeper blue than Jacks, that is because I'm from Australia and we have a nicer sky"

Sorry probably not a lot of help :O

MLS-12D
16th Jan 2004, 02:20
Non-fiction books are great too. Fortunately there are so many to choose from (an embarassment of riches). My top picks:

RAF: Guy Gibson, Enemy Coast Ahead

RCAF: Dave McIntosh, Terror in the Starboard Seat

USAAF: Bert Stiles, Serenade to the Big Bird

Honourable Mentions: Douglas Alcorn, From Hell to Breakfast; J. Douglas Harvey, Boys, Bombs and Brussels Sprouts; Murray Peden, A Thousand Shall Fall; Miles Tripp, The Eighth Passenger

noisy
16th Jan 2004, 17:52
Guy Gibson's book should be taught in schools. It's very poignant and should be read by anyone with an interest in WW2 aviation.

Piece of Cake
17th Jan 2004, 03:40
Also worth a mention are:

Damned Good Show by Derek Robinson (Fiction - Story of Hampden/Wellington Squadron)

No Moon Tonight by Don Charlwood (Non Fiction - RAAF Navigator on Wellingtons/Halifax/Lancasters)

Brgds

PoC

BeauMan
17th Jan 2004, 08:47
A couple I'd like to recommend:

Fiction - "Under an English Heaven", by Robert Radcliffe.

Non-fiction - "First of the Many", no idea who the author is, as I lent my copy out to a mate who now lives in Australia, but from what I remember, it's a book about the Eighth Air Force, written during 1943 1944, to the extent that many of the names and characters are blanked out or disguised by the censors. A fascinating read, with some stunning images. One that sticks in the mind is a blurred picture of a B17 with no tail, with the caption "If this was a movie, this picture of a tailless fort would be perfectly lit. But I guess the cameraman's mind is more on the fate of the ten men still in that plane, or of the Nazi fighters that might want to do the same to him..."

BUMPFF
20th Jan 2004, 10:50
The definitive factual account - 'Bomber Command' (Max Hastings I think).