PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes the little things make a difference

gingernut
15th Jan 2004, 17:32
I don't work in dipatch/ops, in fact , I have no link to commercial aviation, so apologies if I am invading your territory. (I do, however, contribute to other forums on PPRuNe.)

I would like to share an incident which occurred yesterday.

I had to spend the day in London, on a working trip, so I decided to travel by air. I live quite close to Manchester Airport, so I booked a day return trip on a British Airways shuttle.

My return flight was scheduled to depart from Heathrow at 1745, but unfortunately I did not arrive at the airport until 1730. (Yes I know!) By this time I was in a bit of a panic, wondering how I would get home. I arrived in a big bustling departure lounge, full to the brim with lots of people, rushing around.

I managed to catch the attention of a lady on the ba check in desk, and I explained my situation.

She made a couple of phone calls, printed out some details on a card, and sent me on my way to the aircraft.

Sympathetic, efficient, professional.....

This maybe an everyday occurrence to you folks, I don't know, I am not a frequent commercial flyer. On the face of it, this might seem an insignificant incident, but it helped me a lot. THANKS.

Mad-Air
16th Jan 2004, 21:07
Ginger - Whatever you DON't make a habit of arriving late!!
On the BA shuttle, it's probably a regular occurence (someone will correct me if I'm wrong.....!). But On alot of carriers (schedule and charter) you'll have two hopes of being allowed to go.... Bob and NO! It will screw up a departure (missing a dep slot or even sometimes a runway slot), mess with an on-time departure. Saying that anything upto 15 mins is classed as on time by the BAA.
My old company (Charter) if you're not at the gate 25mins before dep time, you & your bags will be off loaded and you wouldn't be going anywhere.
If you were going down to LHR to transit onwards (in other words you had baggage) i doubt you'd been allowed to make the flight.

But well done anyhow for getting down to get the flight.

All the Best - Mad-Air;)

gingernut
20th Jan 2004, 16:36
Mad Air, thanks for the tip, I think I learnt my lesson.

Pretty impressed though !