PDA

View Full Version : ATPL - what's your advice for prep beforehand!?

B767MAD
15th Jan 2004, 14:30
Just asking what you guys think a good way to prepare for ATPL is ... go over CPL notes etc ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

:O

ROB-x38
15th Jan 2004, 15:56
Any subjects in particular? A little more specifc?

I've done 4 of 7 - AFPA, APLA, ASYA, AHUF

Flight planning - quite different to CPL - mostly new stuff

Performance & Loading - Maybe have a look and understand CAO's and OEI climb gradients required, practice a few takeoff/landing/quick turnaround charts (got a B727 manual?) etc..

Systems - Read up on transonic aerodynamics, jet transport systems (eg: hydraulics, flight controls, environmental, avionics, instruments, autoflight/FD systems), BGTs, read your 767 manual. I also found it really helpful to look at B767 flight deck shots on airliners.net to understand the EHSI & EADI features etc....

Human factors - pretty straight forward

As for the rest, i'll get back to you end of the year :ok:

Good luck

high talker
15th Jan 2004, 17:43
My tip is to complete met and human factors before attempting the major four as some of this does make an apperance at times in these subjects. Only way to do it is nathan higgans he covers every thing dont need to do to much before the course.

B767MAD
15th Jan 2004, 18:19
Thanks everyone for your very good input. Really do appreciate it.

:D :D :D :D

DeltaT
16th Jan 2004, 06:09
stop your social life

fl twotreezero
16th Jan 2004, 08:31
Sustegan Gold about an hour before each exam haha:}

Mork from Ork
16th Jan 2004, 13:35
I would recommend being really friendly with your bank manager.

tubby one
17th Jan 2004, 13:01
hey you could even be really radical a get hold of the syllabus. incredibly it actually gives you the range of topics and some indication of the level of knowledge required. strange as it may seem it is the syllabus that the examiner uses to develop questions!!!!!!

madness I know but hell what have you got to lose???????:) :D :rolleyes:

ROB-x38
17th Jan 2004, 13:21
Tubs is onto something there. ;)

It's on the casa website - search "ATPL syllabus"

Lists all the need to knows. I've met a lot of not well-researched people who don't even know it exists and whinge and moan when they get a question they're not expecting.

m-dot
21st Jan 2004, 08:36
I am not Nathan Higgins or nor do I work for him. Just a satisfied customer.

Just go and do the course. Plain and simple.

If you put the time in, pay attention and do the homework, you can forget about all ofthe grief and stress.

Thumbs up all the way.

Jet_A_Knight
21st Jan 2004, 11:37
It is possible to self study most of the subjects, but take it from me - do a class based theory course for flight planning - it is very 'technique'and 'accuracy' based. Self studying FPL can make you chase your tail.

If in Sydney, I can highly recommend Len Sales at the UNSW. Call the UNSW at BK for details of when his classes run. Bloody hilarious older gentleman Len is - a real pleasure to be taken the pi$$ out of by him when you do something wrong.

"Yeah, you can do it that way ...........if you wanna be back here next session..."

Plus if you fail, and you attended at least 80% of the classes, you can resit the course.:ok:

Rob Avery's methods of FPl are pretty good - basically the flight plan is done using a drawing of a profile as opposed to lines on a page - for some, including me, this more 'visual' method makes it easier to keep track of the sequence etc.

You can PM me if you want more details.

sako
21st Jan 2004, 20:03
b767 i agree with m dot , the higgins course is a good one, i went there for systems, and got his notes for all the other subjects and self studied them, i found i needed a bit of help with planning as it is a hard one to do ones self but the others are very getable with his notes and a few late nights,

best of luck with it

shame he doesnt run a spelling and punctution course, i could go do that one

redsnail
22nd Jan 2004, 06:26
Len Sales I can't recommend enough. What he doesn't know about the Aus ATPL isn't worth knowing. he's brilliant. Fantastic sense of humour :E and a genuine legend. You cannot go wrong.