PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filiter bypass B737

caulfield
14th Jan 2004, 22:36
Fuel filter bypass light is on continuously.Minimal engineering support.Aircraft is B737-500...area is tropics.
Any remedies or suggestions please...thanks .

LME (GOD)
15th Jan 2004, 01:14
I hate to state the obvious but what about a blocked filter...failing that the pressure switch that controls the light have caused problems before..maybe a technical tap needs, have you checked the connector may have some corrosion or crud:ok:

Dr Illitout
15th Jan 2004, 01:26
Gladisp...gladaspor...green sh!t in your fuel tankmaybe?.
First of all consult the maintenance manual. But of the top of my head....
Drain GALLONS of fuel/water out of the water drains in the tanks. Remove filter, flush engine fuel system through with GALLONS of clean fuel. Put in new filter.
When fueling check for water in the fuel supply and every night drain the fuel drains thoroughly.
I do think though that once you have this stuff in your tanks youv'e got a long haul in front of you, unless you go into the tank and physicaly clean it out.
The above advice is, as I said, is off the top of my head with a few beers inside me so don't quote me!!

four_two
15th Jan 2004, 03:07
Cladesporium Resinae isn't it?

caulfield
15th Jan 2004, 09:51
Thanks for your suggestions.They say they've cleaned the filter..and no spares available.Light remains on.............

Blacksheep
15th Jan 2004, 11:46
1. If the light is on continuously with pressure in the fuel system, but goes out when depressurised its almost certainly a blocked filter.
2. If it is on continuously even with the engine stopped and no fuel pressure, its an indication fault.
2.If it then goes out when the connector is disconnected from the switch, its a switch fault. What you do next is between you, the LAE and the DDG.
3. If it stays on when the connector is disconnected you're looking at a wiring fault - most likely a short within the connector. The fix depends on having the right tools.

This post is probably just about as useful as the average FIM ever gets but as usual - what you really need is a good LAE. Preferably a proper 10.1.6...

Through difficulties to the cinema

Dr Illitout
15th Jan 2004, 16:44
Thanks for that four_two, I can't eaven say it!.
:O

eng123
16th Jan 2004, 06:33
caulfield,

Don't get me wrong,I have been the accompanying engineer with aeroplanes away from base but with this defect,unless it is proved to be an indication fault......why are you still flying the aircraft??:confused:

HP BODI BURST
2nd Feb 2004, 15:24
Snags like this are either go or no go according to the MEL( what a piee of workmanship!) However given the state of fuel at "foreign" bases as I have experienced,it is either a clogged filter
1. Visabley-fungal or other debris. but the other engine by the sounds of it is behaving ok,then it is
2 .
an indication prob as Blacksheep sugessts. At the end of the day you know where the ship has been,but if it was bad fuel the other one should have been giving hassels too,knock on wood. Are all other systems working correctly,ie jet pumps etc?

Good luck!