PDA

View Full Version : Height/Weight BMI

mazzy1026
14th Jan 2004, 17:58
Does anybody have any advice on the height/weight limits/regulations for the Class 1 Med ?

I am around 6ft 3 inches and weight app 17 stone - BMI jumps between 29 and 31.

The thing is, I may be classed as clinically obese but I am a generally well built guy, I am reasonably fit and strong and I think that my muscle mass is contributing to the weight.

I recently had a check up at the GP and my blood pressure, cholesterol, thyroid and blood sugar were all spot on.

The BMI figures do worry me though. Anyone with any experience or advice would be a great help. Apologies if some of this has already been said, I done a search but couldnt find exactley what I was after.

Regards

Lee

FlyUK
14th Jan 2004, 18:09
You will be fine. I am 6'2 and 16 stone. No problem with class 1. Infact the doctor was bigger than me! Can't even recall BMI being an issue on the checklist that the doc fills in.

If you have any other worries or queries send us a PM.

Expedite. :ok:

mazzy1026
14th Jan 2004, 18:46
Cheers e-c

The reason I was worried is becuase when I spoke to the lady at the CAA she said "as long as you dont fall into the obese category you'll be fine".

They must have new regs or something, so i think as long as I can get down to 16 stone I should be fine !

I will let you know how I get on.

Best wishes

Lee

gingernut
15th Jan 2004, 16:59
And you always thought that BMI was something to do with cheap flying and long waits at check in !

Mazzy, the BMI figure, (the relationship between your height and weight), helps medics and yourself manage risk. (Of heart disease).

The fact that other parameters are normal, works in your favour. I take it that you don't smoke, as you state that you are a fit guy.

Statistically, if your BMI is 20-25, your risk of dropping dead of heart disease early is 1, bmi 25-30, risk is doubled, 30+ and risk is quadrupled.

Of course there are lies, damn lies and statistics ....

mazzy1026
15th Jan 2004, 23:13
Yes - no smoking at all - even given up drink !

Do you think they would fail you if your BMI was 25+ ?

Flight Level Zero
15th Jan 2004, 23:45
For a BMI of 31 you would expect someone 6ft 3in to be 17.5 stone.

With a BMI of 31 if you were applying for life or disability insurance in the UK you are likely to receive non standard rates (possibly +25%) but this will depend on the insurer. Obviously if you are rated you are then required to disclose this fact in future.

Getting it down to and at keeping at 16 stone sounds good advice.

mazzy1026
16th Jan 2004, 00:44
Well its back to the "no beer" approach now !

Thanks for all your advice guys - you have been a really great help.

Regards

Lee :ok:

gingernut
16th Jan 2004, 14:30
Good luck with the weight loss. Have you considered increasing your exercise regime ? Remember the formula;

crap food + inactivity = fat nacker.

Usually, there is only a fine line between being a "normal" weight, and being overweight. Sometimes only a few minor adjustments are all that is needed.

Don't beat yourself uo too much, and remember alcohol in moderation is actually quite good for you.

mazzy1026
16th Jan 2004, 16:28
Cheers ginge - I am constantly looking for ways to speed up the old metabolism without gaining muscle (my metabolism is like an unfueled freight train). I'm doing everything I can for now just to get down to a nice weight, then after the medical will still diet, only not as much ! :ok: