PDA

View Full Version : Origin Pacific Whats it like??

Blower
14th Jan 2004, 16:16
Suuuuup
just want to know the good oil on opc life style pay roster ect
heard the pay is bad for a co bot 28k for J31/32 but can it be made up with over nites what is the time to command ?
also soundz like the boyz in ns having bit of fun;)

Giant Squid
19th Jan 2004, 04:56
Whats it like?

Good:

Great bunch of guys/girls to work with.
Nelson is a great town and yes the lads have a ball.
J41 is a nice plane.
Command will come relativly quickly, but probably only on the 31/32 if in Nelson, the 41 fleet has now been stocked with crustys that will never leave, ie the Air Nelson senario, you would get a 41 command if you moved to CH.
Rosters are not to bad as a co-pilot, captains however get worked reasonably hard.
Captains pay is comparable to other airlines.

Bad:

Co-pilot pay is the lowest in the country for the number of seats in the aircraft, ie basic pay for 19 seat J31/J32 = 28K, basic pay for Eagle 1900 approx = 32K (I stand to be corrected on that).
Basic pay for J41 = 32K compared to S340 = 37K (there is also no rise in J31/32 co-pilot pay untill you get your command).
Least amount of holidays compared to all other airlines in the country. (3 weeks compared to 6).
J31/32 is a pile of crap.
Managment that could not give an obese rats undercarridge about its staff.
Crap staff travel.
Rosters are sometimes issued only 5 days before the end of the current roster (ie on tuesday you dont know what you are doing on monday).
Overnights are spent at places that are not as good as other crews. (may seem like a small thing but it does p1ss you off a bit when you see other crews going off to a nice hotel for a paid meal in the resturant and you go to a motel and then trudge off down the road to get some fish and chips only to find its closed, or get no sleep because there is a party going on next door).
Allowances are less than any other link airline.
Captains are now BONDED AND STEP payed when they get their command, (bond has been up to 10K in some cases). Pretty sure no other airline bonds for command.
You will not make up your salary on the 31 with overnight allowances (its only 50 bucks and you have to buy dinner and brekie out of that).
No seniority list, ie those who grease, receive.
Nobody really seems to care for the place and morale is fairly low which can make the place a bit depressing at times.

In all, to sum up if you were in a good GA job than stay there untill you get the call from a link airline. If you are out of work or in a crap GA job and get the call from Origin, take it but dont expect it to be much better than GA.

Hope that answers a few questions.

Woodend1
19th Jan 2004, 06:36
and the 'orrible thing about staying in motels is there could well be a P-lab next door

the maori mobster
21st Jan 2004, 14:28
Suup'' my ni@@ers.........

well some of you will be wondering what I've been up too the last wee time....

well sum of us PEE-LOTS have been flying our Waka's on low approaches and high speed flight around kiwi-whanua land with our newest greastest company.

Ori-Bum Pacif-hic

Man based on the J14 is the greatest. With the women in the back doing the dishes I just have to fed the puku and try and find Invercargilly. Man it's pretty cold down there for aboy like me but Ori-bum is the place to bee.

Don't bag it uptil you try it fella's.

Me and Jake the muss are nose to fist all the time and pretty soon i think he'll give me my job in the left seat.

I sometimes have to fly the left seat cos the capitan has passsed out. well my fist and his jaw don't mix and he passes out back so i pull him out and fly.

cool bro..

ori-bum all the way

Woodend1
22nd Jan 2004, 12:01
maori mobster u da man

Giant Squid
23rd Jan 2004, 02:50
If there was a P-lab next door I'm sure the Mobster would sniff it out ay cuz! Nick sum and sell it bro, that would make up for the stink as overnight allowance.

centurian
24th Jan 2004, 03:16
Speaking about P... a mobile P lab fits nicely into the baggage compartment in a J31. Its great having many different overnight destinations, as i can visit all my customers regularly.

Mobster, hope your not going to try and nick stuff in my hood, but maybe you could nick some stuff from the chemist for me. They dont let me buy anything anymore. Anyway next brew is ready for packaging. Seeeyew

Woodend1
24th Jan 2004, 03:51
supposedly the P smells like paint, thats what I learnt on police 10-7. I'll be sniffing for it next time I ride in a J31:ok:

feather stroker
25th Jan 2004, 06:04
Blower, Origin isn't all that bad. From where I'm sat it's money for old rope anyway!! Staff travel is heaps better than link, eligible after 3 months. You rock up to checkin with a badly photocopied A4 sheet and you are off after paying for the sector. These compare pretty favourably to link prices. Uncle Koru needs 10 days warning for staff travel now!! At least Origin you can travel spur of the moment, empty seat it's yours (for a price). Might see you on the next ground course?

ZK-NSN
25th Jan 2004, 06:40
I agree with father stroker. It may sound bad compared to Air nz but, news flash this is'nt air nz. you wont join the command list and wait for 8 years like eagle or air nelson, you'll probably have a command in 2 years on at least a j31 which gaint squid calls a heap but at the end of the day its better than a partinavia. the pay is not great but like i say command in 2 years. there is no senoirity list but thats to stop origin having to give commands to crew who either are not ready or have proven themselfs to to be jerks. origin is a private company and i doubt Helen will bail origin out if it goes belly up. crews are bonded for the specific reason to stop them from getting a rating or commmand and leaving soon after, which makes complete sense to me.

origin is overall a pretty good place to work, it doesnt have the money to chuck at its crew as anz, but the people are great, the boys probably too much fun and Nelson although not chaep is a great place to live. i suppose you cant keep pilots happy can you.

Giant Squid
26th Jan 2004, 05:49
I you reakon the staff travel is so good you should have been there on Friday to see one of the boys get well and truly rodgered with his staff travel. Ahh managment, how to win friends and influence people once again, pure genius.

feather stroker
26th Jan 2004, 06:38
Squid, check out Air NZ rules on that and in fact every other airline and it is standard industry practice. As it happens Origin is reviewing the whole thing as there could be room for dispensations as it wasn't entirely fair in this particular case. There you go, an airline still small enough to care.

centurian
26th Jan 2004, 07:49
Mr Squid,

If your friend needs some pain relief for his injuries then maybe we can catch up and do some dealings in the back of a J31. Even enough room for a zipzap machine in the back of those things.

Ahh they blame so much on P. Its just not fair

splatgothebugs
26th Jan 2004, 13:12
Pull your head out of your ass mate, if you can name one person in EAG who has waited 8 years for a command then I'm bloody Santa Claus.

3 years on average maybe 4 if its really slow and you are not prepared to move.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can't travel around the world with ORG staff travel;)

splat

Giant Squid
27th Jan 2004, 03:46
The funny thing is I haven't seen that particular peice of policy written anywhere. If there are rules how come nobody new about it, ops conrollers included. No wonder people get their knickers in a knot.
The amount Origin Pacific cares about its staff makes me all warm and fuzzy inside, right to the end of my tentacle and ink sack. :yuk:
As has been quoted by our great leader "If you don't like it leave", so thats what people are doing.

Thump & Go
27th Jan 2004, 06:49
Easy Splat, with hostility like that you'll end up running a GA company or something!;) I agree however - 2 or 3 years to a command in Eagle. Correct me if I'm wrong but I can think of captains that have escaped the right chair in 6,7 and 8 months. Admittedly they were rare years but it does happen. Air Nsn pilots are often there for the "lifestyle" so quick commands aren't necessarily a high priority.
If you had a choice I'd think Air Chats would be a good bet, commands about as quick as Eagle and a much better pay scale - new Capt's start on around 9year capt (Eag) salary.

Thump

ps: Air NSN is no seniority really a good thing?

the maori mobster
27th Jan 2004, 07:16
oh bro's... come on now....

did someone steal your puha or what.

ori-bomb is the word. (don't quite know which one cos i don't know many)

you want staff travel? come and see me i'll put you in the back or up the front, doodle the loadsheet and you can slip me a dozen later and she'll be right.

ori-bum doesn't have staff travel, it's talking to the bro's that will get you around the country. quick word and slip the dozen and you'll be sweet.

Squidy - go hard......

MM

splatgothebugs
27th Jan 2004, 10:12
I applogise for that outburst but people should get there facts at least close to been correct before submitting the reply.

Mobster I hooked you up once cuz and I still see no goodies for it ;)

splat

"at least I think I did":p

ZK-NSN
28th Jan 2004, 10:09
I think your opinion of the seniority system depends on where you sit. even if Qo has no set system it generally follows through from when you started (like most things at origin its essentially an informal system) unless you are not ready for whatever reason, be it your skills, subjects or attitude. I dont think the company should make a rod for its own back by giving people a command because of a crew position in the feild. with Ian taking the helm i think he deserves time to get himself sorted in the job and get his systems in place, as much as i like RJ i think his people skills didnt meet the mark. things will improve so watch this space.

Splat.. I have to agree, eagle do have very quick commands in some cases and no origin dont have international travel...yet. but you need to relax dude, if i reacted like that everytime i spotted something incorrect i'd be a basket case.
Head is now removed from ass.