PDA

View Full Version : co-pilot

dude12345
14th Jan 2004, 16:09
How would a 300 hour cpl go about getting co-pilot work.:confused:

Bravo 99
18th Jan 2004, 03:22
without a instrument rating chances are slim, the off shore market did take on a sample of pilots and send them through at cab air but this was more of a where back boys by Bond offshore they picked the best of the best for gap filling of P2 co pilots when the contract that was won from CHC went to them I am afraid to say it but you have to spend the money to get there or if you are trying to get work get your flight instructor rating you will be pretty sure of getting work fast if you do this. i would suggest this to be the way if cost is an issue or if not get your IR
Sorry to bear the bad news but the big lads dont want to spent the money these days.
Hems will not look at you unless you have 1000 hours again they may think a little if you have an IR but at 300 hours they wont try to get work where you can but your flight instructor rating will help you get there p2 time is not what you want though, get p1 time to get any where

Av8r
18th Jan 2004, 04:56
Getting a co-pilots job at 300 hrs wouldn’t be my preferred option.

You must get command time or you may end up a professional co-pilot…for ever. :(

I recall when I was instructing and busting my ass in a b47 in the early days, the occasional new commercial pilot would land a job as a co-pilot somewhere, and at the time you were very jealous, but in hind sight, it’s probably a bad move. I know, I can hear you all say, “but it worked out OK for me”, true, for a percentage of ‘command challenged’ pilots it does work out for and they move up the ladder… if they happen to be a contract that allows them to do that, and that’s rare, offshore impossible. I would suggest that is the exception rather than the rule.

At some time you will need command time. Chase that now while you’re, young, uncommitted and in a position to do so. Ten years down the track, that may not be the case.

:ok:

the coyote
18th Jan 2004, 20:28
I agree with Av8r, get a couple of thousand command hours under your belt first or there's a fair chance you'll be a copilot for about a decade.