PDA

View Full Version : Non-JAA ICAO IR

Lloyd Braun
14th Jan 2004, 12:30
As per JAR-FCL D1.5 ....... Conversion of licences .....

To qualify for the reduced IR (15 hours) if you held an ICAO IR, do you have to have it passed within the ICAO IR expiry date ? ie move to uk, do ATPL subjects and do IR within 1 year ?

The document specifies that the ICAO IR must be current and valid.

FlyingForFun
14th Jan 2004, 16:07
I'm not sure I understand the question.

As you say, the ICAO IR needs to be current and valid. That doesn't mean you must have obtained it within the last year, though - you may have obtained it many years ago, but renewed it regularly since then.

Also, there is no requirement to do the convertion within one year of the ATPL (or IR) exams. The exam credits are valid for 3 years from the date of the final exams (that's certainly the case for ATPL exams, I think the same is true for IR exams but I'd need to check to confirm) so you can do the convertion any time within that 3 year period.

Does that answer the question???

FFF
-------------

skyman68
15th Jan 2004, 04:24
I have a US IFR done years ago. I ve had to renew it to keep it current.now I try to convert it to a JAA IR.
if you know a school in the UK,please let me know.

Lloyd Braun
15th Jan 2004, 07:42
I have an Australian IR and would like to avoid flying all the way back to Oz just just to keep the thing current if I wasn't ready to do the JAA IR before the ICAO IR expired.

That's why I made reference to 1 year as in Oz that is the renewal period.

Thanks....

Field In Sight
15th Jan 2004, 18:15
I also have an FAA IR which I completed in November 2003.

I will be doing the JAR IR conversion in March which means that it will still be valid and current.

Even if it wasn't current or valid I would only need to do the 6 approaches, intercept and track courses and perform holding procedures. This would all occur on the conversion course anyway and thus revalidate the license for the issue of the JAR IR.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

Don't know about the Aussi rules though.

FIS

Tinstaafl
16th Jan 2004, 03:05
Unlike the FAA IR, Oz & JAR IRs have built in obsolescence ie they disappear after 1 year. They can be renewed by doing a flight test which is usually a bit easier/simpler than the test for the initial issue.

FAA IRs don't lapse. They can no longer be current but the rating still exists. Gain the specified experience & the FAA IR is valid again.

skyman68
16th Jan 2004, 06:16
no!! field in sight, the 6 approaches does not work for the CAA.u must have ur logbook endorsed everyyear by a cfii to keep current.