PDA

View Full Version : Strabismus and JAR-FCL

Jimmy The Big Greek
14th Jan 2004, 00:45
I have a freind that has "strabismus" but according to him no diplopia. When I look at him I can not see any squint but his medical doctor says that he has slight "exotropia" and a little bit of hypertropia.

I checked the FAA AME guide and found that he would fail an faa first class medical since they do not accept strabismus actually the do not accept it for any class.

I can not find anything on JAR-FCL. Only for phorias not tropias.

Flyin'Dutch'
14th Jan 2004, 01:34
Diplopia is a no-no for any class according to FAA rules.

For classes 1 and 2 the FAA rules are exo/esotrophia of less than 6 diopters and for hypertrophia 1.

There is no requirement for testing for class 3.

So reading about your friend he may well qualify if he can meet those standards.

HTH

FD

Jimmy The Big Greek
14th Jan 2004, 04:48
Ok, now I'am confused.

Where talking about a tropia not phoria. Tropia=manifest squint and phoria=latent squint.

FAA says clearly that a strabismus is a denial, despite how much deviation.The JAR-FCL requirements only covers the laten squint Heterophoria and not heterotropia. My question was if anybody know if JAR-FCL also denies a strabismus.

I know that I have a little bit of heterophoria but most people have a little bit of that. A few people are orthophoric (no deviation at all). This stuff I have found on the internet so I'am not a doctor or something.Also since I'am greek I understand alot of the words used, exo=out eso=inward hyper=upwards etc

Anyway I told him to go and take a medical exam to know for sure.