PDA

View Full Version : "Make love to the sky...."

witchdoctor
13th Jan 2004, 21:12
Watching C4 last night and Spitfire Ace, the Tiger Moth FI (splendid chap in a cravat and leather jacket) assessing the 4 candidates for Spit flying came out with one of those immortal pieces of advice which seem to be reserved for use by FI's;

"Make love to the sky, don't shag it!"

Reminded me of the advice given by our UAS CO to one of the girls on the appropriate technique for handling the controls in the Bulldog;

"Hold it like you're w***ing a mouse!"

Any other gems you've used, received or heard of?

Foz2
13th Jan 2004, 23:31
Witchdoctor,

Genius, (falling around laughing)!!! I saw that program as well - looked like a bit of a legend that instructor!! I imagine in the evenings he probably wears a burgundy coloured velvet smoking jacket !!

Do you know which airfield the tiger moth flying was at?

Cheers

Foz2

Divergent Phugoid!
13th Jan 2004, 23:45
Foz 2

They did say on the tv but it was Headcorn, I think its called from memory Lashenden Airfield.
Its just off the A274 Tenterden To Maidstone road.
Spent many years of my youth cycling over there and watching the aircraft.....
Such Memories.....

DP

QNH 1013
14th Jan 2004, 01:10
Surely that is where the "Tiger Club" is based. The Tiger Moth used, G-ACDC is one of the Tiger Club's aircraft.
Brendan used to introduce a weekly flying programme on Channel 4? a few years ago.

Snigs
14th Jan 2004, 01:38
Repeated regularly on Discovery Wings.

orionsbelt
14th Jan 2004, 18:05
Well presented show however.

Bill Isons mob at Cambridge, The Cambridge Flying Group Operate 2 Tiger Moths, GAOEI and GAHIZ both used for PPL training.

The CFI Bill Ison was a WW2 Pilot and I believe he flew Hurricans in the Middle East.

Bill is the most Experienced Tiger Moth pilot and CFI in the Country
and I was very supprised to find the assessment being done by
a Sky TV presenter. (be it ATPL / FI qualified )

It should have been done by the CFG!!!!!!! and Bill