PDA

View Full Version : "German" JAR medical with British CAA/JAR licence

Rod_McTaggart
13th Jan 2004, 20:45
Does anybody have any recent experience of getting a JAR medical renewal in Germany (or any other JAR member state other than the UK) while flying on a CAA/"British JAR" licence.

In the past (prior to Germany joining JAR), this was no problem.

Now, it appears that instead of sending the paperwork directly to the CAA in the UK, as in the past, the German AME is going to forward everything to the German authorities (The LBA) in the expectation that the LBA will forward the necessary info to the British CAA.

Maybe everything works OK, but I can see this disappearing into a bureaucratic spiral of death...

Best,
Rod

Andi
14th Jan 2004, 11:13
hi RMT,

in the past I had probs with german LBA to get recongised
everything that had to do with foreign lic.Did UK CAA CAP509
fATPL and converted to UK JAR LIC last march.
Got my first "german JAR MED" last summer and I had to sent
a copy to the LBA. (never had to do that with UK JAR MED).
Maybe it was cuz they just joined JAA.( they only had 2.5 years to check with other authorities,but.......)
Had the biggest nightmare with LBA after I got my IR renewal
for the first time in germany (also last summer) on my UK JAA LIC.They wanted to kick out the examiner cuz he did the checkride and we had about 2 weeks of discussions and lots of paperwork and heaps of calls to the UK CAA (told us everything is ok but LBA did not want to accept that).Still have no idea what the real problem was.Finally the CAA sent them over a fax stating the JAA rules and where to find it and telling them that they WILL accept the renewal from the JAR examiner and since then never heared of them again.
In the 3 years that I was dealing with LBA never ever in my life came across such unorganized and snobby people that they are.
Guess they wanted to protect the german market and Lufthansa.
(To clarify ,this is MY PERSONAL OPPINION!!!!)

Can give u the advise to keep on dealing only with UK CAA if you can and totally ignore the LBA.(They have no idea of what they r doin!)

All the years that I was dealing with UK CAA they have always been very helpfull to me and seemed to be very organized.Never was left without an answer! At least with the problems I had. And I really mean it.

Might not be objective any more and getting a little personal about LBA but cost me 4000 euros for nothing.

Might be interessting to hear other statements from other pilots.

PS: for all the german pilots reading this or all the others wanting to have a go on me,PLEASE let me say again that this is
MY OWN OPPINION).

Greets andi and sorry for drifting of a little from the subject

:\

Rod_McTaggart
14th Jan 2004, 19:51
Thanks Andi !

Your experience is what I feared I would hear.
Time will tell to see if we get a similar problem.

Cheers!
Rod