PDA

View Full Version : Sharing files

onehunga
13th Jan 2004, 16:26
Hoping someone can give me some advice.

I am looking to be able to transfer files between different pc's (that are not connected by cable or other means) and also remote access. My needs are two fold really. Firstly, I have friends that have decided that my mp3 collection is just to much of a temptation and hence they want to nab some tracks for their players. Secondly, I work away from home quite a lot and it would be handy to be able to access my home pc from time to time and retrieve files that I might have forgotten to email to my work address.

After doing a little bit of research I heard about a software package called pc anywhere. Ebay have some really cheap copies for about £15. Assuming this proves to be the solution:-

- will I need to install the software on "every" pc that wants to access my home computer. This could prove a problem installing software on the pc at work due to their IT policy.

- my home pc has Win98se. Does it matter if my work pc or that of my friends have different operating systems?

Or is there a better way to go about it. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Jan 2004, 03:08
onehunga,

PC Anywhere is a good program for taking control of other computers. You could also setup VPN, but it can be trouble getting different versions of Windows to talk to each other.

If you are wanting to have access to your music, you would be better off burning your MP3s to a CD or a DVD and carrying them with you. I personally do not like having any program that allows me to access my computer over the internet. If I can get access you know a hacker will have no trouble either.

I like keeping my computers behind a hardware firewall.

But if you still want to gain access over the internet:

This gets a little techie, if you have an old computer laying around (486 class or higher), and you are interested, you could setup a Linux Webserver and make an online jukebox that you could access from anywhere.

Anther option would be to setup an FTP Server, there are loads of software on the net to do this too.

Take Care,

Richard

ratsarrse
14th Jan 2004, 05:16
I use PCAnywhere at work to 'take control' of remote servers. It also has a file transfer facility and the ability to copy the clipboard of one machine to another. You have a small 'host' programs that runs in the background on the machine you want share that listens for incoming connections. It also comes with security to stop unauthorised access. You have to install PCAnywhere on the machine you want to access the remote computer with too.

Windows Netmeeting can do a similar job. It does have a file transfer facility, but I haven't used it so I can't really comment on how good it is. The big bonus is that it is free and comes with windows, although Microsoft have 'hidden' it in later versions of Windows. To set it up, go to Start|Run and enter conf. This will install it. Then you have to set up Remote Desktop Sharing. The advantage is that everyone has NetMeeting whether they realise it or not.

onehunga
14th Jan 2004, 17:18
Thanks heaps for the ideas. Burning CD's isn't really an option given the amount of mp3 files I have (2500 and growing) and I must say that I hadn't appreciated that dvd's had so much capacity.

Another thread is running on dvd players and it has convinced me that is probably the simplest option and will also enable me to free up the space on my hdd from all these mp3 files not to mention photos. I also hadn't realised just how cheap the recorders have gotten. For £78 I am getting a solid performer that will also act as a great backup device for my pc.

Will still consider pc anywhere as well although point definitely taken on hacking by Richard.

Thanks again.