PDA

View Full Version : Pearls of Wisdom Jan 2004

Steve76
13th Jan 2004, 11:34
Because I figure we are all experts in something and the fact that the forum is getting a little tedious, here is my POW for January. Feel free to add your own.
(Don't worry Heliport I will try to blend in a helo reference somewhere....:ok: )

Shaving is a burden of the masses. Particularily the male. When I started shaving I bought a Gillette redhot (cheers Craig!) smoking, aerodynamic, handcrafted, shave at twice the speed expensive razor because I was all excited about this having to shave my mug buzz.

Well, as you all can sympathise the ultra modern shaver gets relegated to the bin in favor of the cheaper Wilkinson Sword or local disposable in times of great financial hardship. IE: finding the first job in the industry while feeding 3 kids, a wife and dog period of life (....there you go HP :ok: )

And while the WS does a reasonable job despite the blade being crafted in taiwan and the odd bit of missing skin, you often browse along the aisle wistfully wanting to strap on the Gillette Mach 3 weapon of mass destruction model. Not only does it look fast but it has an aviation reference......

Well some time ago a rellie of mine told me a great POW.
What bugg$rs the blade of a razor, besides your beard, is the shaving foam that you use.
It completely stuffs the edge and as a result (if you really stretch it....) you only can just get 2 shaves in. Six or more if you are really broke or out bush.
The influence of the beard is minimal in comparison to the foams corrosive actions.
Great news for the Gillette shareholder, bad news for you, good news for Wilkinson Sword $5 pack.

SO! instead of using the rust staining can of foam, go to the nearest pharmacy, shoppers drug mart or the missus's stash of face ****e and source yourself some ALOE VERA SKIN CREAM or whatever flavor of skin cream takes your fancy. Slap it liberally on the mush and get to work. Sounds pretty gay but it is really bloody brilliant.

Buy yourself a redhot Gillette and give it a try.

I just tossed out the first gillette razor which lasted ONE AND A HALF MONTHS and was still doing a reasonable job. Not only do you get a great shave but also your skin is soft, nourished and feels just..... errr....think thats enough of that. The extended duration of the experiment (1.5 month) was to establish the viability of the technique and a operator TBO for the razor. (Disclaimer: any skidbiter pushing the envelope to beyond the tested duration should know they are now operating in the realm of the testpilot and the manufacturer will not be responsible for copious facial bleeding before the big night at the local with the lushous ladies present drama. You have been warned.)
Quote/Unquote Nick L :)

Additionally, thou I haven't tried it yet.

While you are at the chemist get some swabbing alcohol and leave the razor in a cup of that between shaves. According to one of the medics at work it helps to sterilise and extend the TBO of the shaver also. For the lads at home....don't skimp here and use Bundy cause it is just won't work and is a waste of good rum :hmm:

So! no excuses for looking like a shabby bunch of Rotorheads now.
:} ....ya all owe me one.

John Eacott
13th Jan 2004, 12:02
Hmmmmmmmmmmm,

Glad I've got a beard. Quiet day at the office, Steve ;) :rolleyes:

overpitched
13th Jan 2004, 14:33
How strange is it that I emerge dripping and bleeding from a late afternoon shower to air dry before a quick session of pprune before a night out on the tiles only to stumble accross this thread.

I'm sure if it wasn't for the half bottle of nasty stuff already tipped down my throat then steve your advice would make perfect sense.

The Nr Fairy
13th Jan 2004, 15:21
If anyone fancies a treat, book into Trumpers (no, it's not a made up name) in Curzon Street or Jermyn Street in London for a shaving lesson - even if you know how to shave, it's worth the pampering.

for what it's worth, I use a few drops of a tea tree oil-based shaving solution, rubbed onto a water-heated stubble, and it works a treat, leaving the face lovely and cool afterwards too. All I need to do now is to treat the razor like a cyclic, rather than a pickaxe, and I'm laughing !

Flytest
13th Jan 2004, 17:02
Ta Steve, as soon as I pluck up the courage to stand a little closer to the razor I'll give it a blast.. at the moment my bathroom looks like a crime scene.

Other POW's?? well if you take the dust cap off a main wheel inflation valve, and jam it between your fingers with the hole pointing out, then with a little practice it makes an excellent distress whistle. The technique is similar to making the noise of a ships horn with an empty beer bottle.. worth remebering next time you are floating amongst the wreckage in some ocean somewhere. You can also whistle some cool tunes to pass the time while you await the coastguard or the sharks.

:)

And no, before anyone asks, I don't know what time the next shuttle leaves to go to my planet!!!!!! :p

Boring day in the office II

sandy helmet
13th Jan 2004, 17:40
Hmmm..............
Sounds like some of you are moonlighting at Viz.....
Brilliant mag - anyone know if is it still in print?
My faves were Biffa Bacon and Finbarr Saunders

HOGE
13th Jan 2004, 21:59
Yes, it's still in print.

CyclicRick
14th Jan 2004, 04:51
I gave up using foam when the GEL!!! came out. Good stuff, works for me. I can get nearly two weeks from a G sensor II depending on the blade. Sometimes it's interesting to know how long the blades have been on the shelf, I'm sure they deteriorate with age.
won't dipping them in alcohol over night destroy the lube strips?

I can remember one night out on exercise( MANY moons ago), me and the boys in the Squadron discovered that there were 17 places on an SLR where you could crack open a beer bottle, not including the magazine, now THAT is helpful to know.
The SMG was rubbish and I can't remember how usful the Browning nine millimeter was ;)

willbav8r
14th Jan 2004, 07:38
"Jack Black" gel shave is miraculous. Truly amazing. Bloody expensive though.

I use an old single blade safety razor (GF Trumper - Jeremyn St) no fancy three or four headed turbo shifting fancy bollocks gizmos, and get the best shave ever. Face feels re-juvenated, limited claret loss, no need to re-shave, which means more time in the boozer, which means more time fraternizing with the uglies. Wish they would learn to shave better.....

DIVINE WIND
14th Jan 2004, 10:07
I bought a pre-war cut-throat in the early ninties, made in Germany and was still usable. I found it in a chinese trade store in vanuatu. I only bought the thing just so I could bring home as proof that "they don't make em like they used to"
can't say I had the balls to run it over my adams apple :ooh: