PDA

View Full Version : Flybe FREE but EASY ARE CHEAPER!!

eastern wiseguy
13th Jan 2004, 04:34
Booking a flight for my old mum in August...tried Easyjet, and FlyBe who are insisting as per their big advert on being called
Northern Irelands "original "low cost carrier :confused:

EasyJet
Saturday 14 August

Flight 465

departs Belfast Intl at 15:00, arrives Glasgow at 15:50
flexible web fare 2.49 GBP (phone fare 7.49 GBP)

RETURN

Wednesday 25 August

Flight 466
departs Glasgow at 17:15, arrives Belfast Intl at 18:05
flexible web fare 1.49 GBP (phone fare 6.49 GBP)

total cost of your selection

The total cost of your selection is calculated as follows OUTBOUND
airfare per adult/child 2.49 GBP
plus taxes and charges per adult/child 10.50 GBP
total per adult/child 12.99 GBP

RETURN
airfare per adult/child 1.49 GBP
plus taxes and charges per adult/child 11.50 GBP
total per adult/child 12.99 GBP

GRAND TOTAL
total for 1 adult 25.98 GBP

FlyBe

Total Passengers: 1

Outbound: Sat 14 Aug 2004 Flight No.: BE125
Depart from: Belfast City (BHD) Departure time: 06:45
Arriving: Glasgow (GLA) Arrival time: 07:30

Return: Wed 25 Aug 2004 Flight No.: BE126
Return from: Glasgow (GLA) Departure time: 08:00
Arriving: Belfast City (BHD) Arrival time: 08:45

Total fare: £37.00 (fare £0.00 + tax and charges
£37.00

So if they are MORE expensive when they are carrying you for nothing..heaven knows what they will be like when they try to earn revenue from the flights!!

By the way ...Easy got the business..:ok:

Wee Weasley Welshman
13th Jan 2004, 05:09
Its all a bit of a black art. I doubt either carrrier are making any money on those particular fares.

The truth lies in the fares charged ex-promotional.

Cheers

lowfaresbuster
13th Jan 2004, 05:34
Maybe Belfast Harbours landing fees (taxes) are higher than those at Belfast International- and I don't think flybe charge you GBP£4 for paying by credit card.

WHBM
13th Jan 2004, 05:52
Well if one airline said the fare was £26 and the other said £37, that would be fine, but I really do get fed up with "fares" that then somehow get added to and added to. I don't care how it's made up or whether it's a tax or not, I should just be told what I have to pay. I shouldn't have things palmed off as taxes when they are not (taxes are imposed by governments) and I can't believe the government taxes different airlines different amounts. And surcharging for credit card payment on a website fare where that's the only way to pay on a website falls into that category too.

Why can't the CAA get to grips with this?

As I once saw somewhere else, it's like going in to McDonalds and asking for an advertised £1 hamburger and being told "sure, that will be £3 please. We charge an extra £2 for the oil we fry it in". But then I saw this, which is better:

http://gpsinformation.net/main/paint.txt

eastern wiseguy
13th Jan 2004, 06:15
lowfares ..yes I agree about the landing fees.....as to other charges

Outbound by: Flybe. A £4.00 surcharge applies to all credit card bookings. And they charge a quid for "debit cards"..

WWW I understand totally that these are loss leader type fares ...it just seems that Bhd is the more expensive option?

Tower Ranger
13th Jan 2004, 06:35
Bit of a pointless thread Eastern it just depends on when you book. One of my colleagues booked a trip to London next Tuesday and back on Wed easyJet were £60 return but to his surprise FlyBe were only £27 to Lgw so it pays to shop around!!

eastern wiseguy
13th Jan 2004, 06:41
Disagree TR .....I looked all about those dates ...the fact remains that "someone " is charging more for their services....and I don't mean the airlines .....:E Maybe it is to pay for that newest runway in Ireland you tell me soooo much about?Do Bmi pay the same? or is it nothing at all??

But please don't develope this into my radars bigger than yours type thread...lets stay with the economics of FlyBe and Easy pricing

WHBM
13th Jan 2004, 07:26
Well, silly me, I've fallen right into this one, haven't I ? There I was adding a point about ticket pricing but the topic was really just the daily joust between the BFS and BHD factions again.

I'll know better next time. :rolleyes:

carlos vandango
13th Jan 2004, 09:38
priced a flight recently to between LON and BFS/BHD..Flybe £38 rtn, Easy £70 rtn. A few years ago you couldn't get a one-way standby for that!
If it were £240 v £180 like it used to be, there might be a point to this thread. Enjoy it while it lasts..because it wont.:hmm:

ALLMCC
13th Jan 2004, 17:26
At the end of the day, price is only part of the equation, its also down to which airport (Belfast or Easygrove) passengers want to fly from and which airline (Flybe or Easyjet) they want to use (or be abused by as the case may be) and also where they will feel safer (note proposed 35% reduction in security at BFS and recently increased security at BHD)

Let the battle commence at the end of March when Flybe start BHD - GLA/EDI!

Red Snake
13th Jan 2004, 17:26
Add about £30-35 per sector to the price of any advertised fare. That seems to be fairly close to the amount charged to my credit card, be it Easyjet, Ryanair or BA. Are consumers really so stupid that they fall for it?

Mark Lewis
13th Jan 2004, 19:33
I must say BA seem to be the most "straight talking" airline when it comes to prices, including taxes and the return leg in the price, unlike everyone else.

hapzim
14th Jan 2004, 00:33
But why is it that to and from the same airfields on same & different days the taxes and charges?? vary. This is nothing to do with the price the airline is charging for the seat it is added to this price.

ie: seat price £20 + taxes & charges £15

seat price £50 + taxes & charges £10

same route same airline and this does not include the cc charge.

The airlines should have to show the break down of taxes & charges or are they just skimming off more for their profits.

Especially when if you do not travel, trying to get a refund of these taxes and charges WHICH THEY HAVE NOT HAD TO PAY can prove to be a real nightmare.:ugh:

Runway 31
14th Jan 2004, 01:55
In terms of taxes, charges etc BA are not any different from anyone else when it comes to quoting fares.

I have just bought a return EDI-BHX and the cost is £56. The fare is £26 and taxes and charges are £30.

I am not complaining about the cost though as I think that £56 is better than the 6-8 hours in time that the journey would have cost me each way by car.

CaptAirProx
14th Jan 2004, 03:40
Carlos Vandango has a point.

Many years ago when the likes of Easy and Ryanair started out the trend for a loco model. The majority of punters on here there and everywhere harped on about how wonderful these new cheap fares were.

Now that the more mainstream airlines have had to employ the same policy on fares, everyone starts whinging that it is out of order.

It is very very true that you really can't please all the people all the time.

To all of you that are hacked off with this policy, whether its right or wrong, do you really want to go back to old time fares....................................................... ........................

Thought as much

World Traveller
14th Jan 2004, 18:20
This does all seem slightly trivial, we are talking about air fares of £20-£30 return, no one can make money on that (and more importantly can they pay wages for crew, ground staff, engineers, pay for appropriate maintenance etc etc), and oif easy, FlyBe or whoever need to make up some charges then so be it, hell £60 return to anywhere is a bargain, especially compared to 5-10 years ago.

I agree though that adverts should be more explicit in stating the actual fare, that this is not sustainable and cannot last (especially Rayanir's penny fares), and FlyBe are a bit cheeky charging £1.50 to pay by debit card when you have no other choice (but then Ticketmaster et al do that so MayBe its not so bad??).

Cap'n AirProx is spot on.

WT

Standard Noise
14th Jan 2004, 19:00
Wouldn't be like a Muckamore ATCO to gripe over a tenner, would it?;)