PDA

View Full Version : Pilots looking younger mark II .... link didn't open

JohnnyPharm
13th Jan 2004, 02:53
This is the contents of the link from the Scottish Daily Record newspaper dated 12/1/2004. I checked it out and the link didn't work, sorry folks. Here's the story anyway.

EVEN PILOTS ARE LOOKING YOUNGER THESE DAYS.. Jan 12 2004

It's a dream as Ryan, 20, gets licence Exclusive

By Karen Bale

A STUDENT has fulfilled his dream of becoming one of Scotland's youngest ever pilots licensed to fly jets.

Ryan Telfer, 20, spent months studying and went on placements to Florida and Texas to obtained his ATPL which means he could soon fly anycommercialplane, anywhereintheworld.

First, hehastonotchup 1500 hoursflyingtime. Then eventually he hopes to land his dream job, flying a British Airways Boeing 777.

Ryanadmits it's downtothe sacrifices madeby his parents, who saved the £50,000 he needed to go on his training courses.

Ryan, of Heathhall, Dumfries, said: ''Foraslong as I can remember, I have wanted to fly.

''When I was little, I used to beg my parents to gotoairportsso I couldwatchtheplaneslanding.

''I always hoped I could get sponsored by one of the major airlines. But after 9/11, all airlines stopped sponsoring trainees. I wasdevastated.''

Then Ryan's parents stepped in. Dad Richard, 42, started saving half his £1400 monthly salary for the cash to put Ryan through pilot training, sacrificing summer holidays and all his savings Ryan said: ''I couldn't believe it when my parents said they would finance my training.

''I have been very lucky. Most people have to waityears to saveupenough to qualify and I have completed everything in two years.

''I got my licence in November. Now I'mapplying for jobs. BA require you to have 3000 flying miles. I have just 250 hours.

''Your licence is 'frozen' until youhavemorethan 1500 flying hours so I will just need to keep flying to get my time up.

''But I couldgettakenonand be trained upon simulators.

''I would love to fly long-haul to exotic destinations.''

Richard said: ''It was worth every pennyand I am so proud of Ryan. Wearejustkeepingour fingers crossed he gets his dream job.''

A spokesman for the Civil Aviation Authority said: ''The youngest youcan start training for this licence is 18 and the coursetakesaminimumoftwo years. So the youngest pilot in the country is 20.''

Last November, the Record revealed that Loganair have a 20-year-old pilot, Annag MacLeod, flying their turboprop Twin Otter aircraft.

Andy_R
13th Jan 2004, 03:21
Good luck to him, and hats off to some very dedicated parents. They are clearly not in the high earner bracket.

Jinkster
13th Jan 2004, 04:36
Well done Ryan - I was out flying with him in Jan, Feb, March 2002 in the US - a very dedicated flyer well done Ryan

:ok: :ok: :ok:

supergirl
13th Jan 2004, 05:54
Well I`m only 18 and plan to get my CPL before my 19th birthday !!!

tomcs
13th Jan 2004, 06:20
I'm just finishing my ATPL groundschool and will have a CPL and multi before i'm 20!! (hopefully :) )

Tom

DanBaxter
13th Jan 2004, 16:56
I got my CPL/IR whilst I was 20. Though I never heard a fanfare........

Jinkster
13th Jan 2004, 17:15
Here is the link:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/news/page.cfm?objectid=13806323&method=full&siteid=89488

:ok: :ok:

ABO944
13th Jan 2004, 17:41
Wish my parents helped me!!!

They would rather do up the spare room than help towards my training!

Dont let it stop you though!

Where there's a will, and there is a will, there's a way, there's always a f***ing way! ... quote from film sexy beast!

expedite_climb
13th Jan 2004, 19:33
Was also a frozen ATPL and FI at 19. On the 757 at 22, but no biggy these days really.

There was a guy a while ago who was TRE on the RJ with Cityflyer at 25....

Two years is an interesting quote