PDA

View Full Version : Ground school instructor/examiner

Divergent Phugoid!
13th Jan 2004, 01:29
I have been asked to post this here on behalf of a friend so appologies if it has been asked before.
Any replies from you would be appreciated. Any responces however from the enquirer might be slightly delayed due to him having no internet access and I have to relay your replies.

"As a retired proffessional with an interest in aviation, with skills in the teaching field, what would be required of me to become an instructor/examiner in the ground studies field? (for PPL level to begin with??)"

Thanks in advance DP.

:ok:

Divergent Phugoid!
13th Jan 2004, 20:18
As M.85 said on an earliet thread

Not very helpful the instructor society.

Dont worry, he's not out there to take your jobs, just looking to get actively involved in aviation.

scubawasp
13th Jan 2004, 21:03
Contact Goodwood flying school. They run the AOPA ground instructor course. Or contact AOPA direct and ask them for your nearest school. Yes we are helpful!:O

There is an entrance exam :{

Divergent Phugoid!
14th Jan 2004, 00:12
Thanks Scubawasp...

Tried Goodwood, only train there own people
Aopa, Redirect to CAA
CAA, lady on skiing holliday for two weeks...

Come on guys, someone must be able to give a brief account of what is required, so I can pass it on.

Noggin
14th Jan 2004, 04:01
"As a retired proffessional with an interest in aviation, with skills in the teaching field, what would be required of me to become an instructor/examiner in the ground studies field? (for PPL level to begin with??)"

----------------------------------------------
To become a PPL ground examiner he will need to either hold or have held a Flight Instructor rating or an AOPA ground instructor certificate, and be nominated by a Registered Facility.

To teach groundschool at PPL level no specific qualifications are required however, relevant experience is of more use than academic teaching ability.

To teach commercial groundschool, relevant aviation experience is a major pre-requisite, however, with a declining number of suitable candidates, more academic instructors are appearing in the industry. Either way, their experience must be relevant to the instruction they are giving.

There are no professional ground examiners, as all exams are conducted by the CAA.

Amabokoboko
14th Jan 2004, 12:45
When I went to my local flight school (in South Africa) to find out about starting a ppl, they took one look at my qualifications (Post-grad in Climatology) and immediately put me in touch with the local ground school where I will be teaching Met to CPL punters from end of JAn, and getting paid in flight hours.

I checked out the course material and the weather stuff is really basic, I only had to read up on the formatting used in aviation. At no point was any mention of needing to be instructor qualified mentioned, although I imagine that this may be a prerequisite for the flying subjects. Maybe this is different for the UK but the school in question is very highly rated in SA and certainly not a fly by nighter.

My advice would be to go and knock on a ground school door and ask for info rather than a job. That way they will be more likely to be honest.

IRRenewal
14th Jan 2004, 14:38
Try contacting Carol Cooper at Andrewsfield. 01371 856744. I know she has had two more people asking the same question and she worked out what is required.

Although it is correct that there is no formal qualification to be a PPL ground school instructor, there is some certificate to be gained. I believe it involves the core course on teaching and learning that is part of the normal FI(R) course.

To be a ground examiner you need to be nominated by and affiliated to an organisation doing PPL training in some form.

If you get yourself sorted as a PPL ground instructor you could establish an RTF (registered training facility) offering ground school for PPL subjects only. Then, you could possibly become the ground examiner for this organisation (whether you need a pilot licence and/or instructor rating for that I don't know).

I do know the current charge to become or renew a ground examiner authorisation is somewhere in the region of 185 pounds. I would guess that like any examiner rating the period of validity is three years. However, if your affiliation with the sponsoring school stops I believe you loose it, unlike flight examiner privileges. As far as I can see this is because if you are not part of a school you are not supposed to have access to the exam papers, therefore there is no point being an examiner.

To be clear: this is my understanding of the system in the UK only, and only applies to PPL ground school stuff. I do not know what the score is in other JAR countries or what is required to instruct at CPL/ATPL level.

Hope this helps. E-mail me if you need more information (see my profile for contact details).

Gerard

Divergent Phugoid!
14th Jan 2004, 19:56
Thanks Noggin and IRR,

Will pass the details on.. Might be a day or two before I can post replies, but thanks, was the sort of info I was looking for. :ok: :ok:

Noggin
15th Jan 2004, 03:35
The Ground Examiner requirements are listed in CAA Standards Doc 21 V4 Appendix H.

BEagle
15th Jan 2004, 04:37
...which you can read at: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_21_v4.pdf