View Full Version : Anderson admits air incidents 'inevitable'

griffinblack
12th Jan 2004, 19:55
Anderson admits air incidents 'inevitable'
© ABC 2003
More Photos

Anderson admits air incidents 'inevitable'
5:27 PM January 12

Federal Transport Minister John Anderson says some "airborne incidents" are an inevitable side effect from the Government's new airspace regulations.

Air Services Australia (ASA) and light aircraft pilots have accused air traffic controllers of scare mongering by highlighting a series of apparent "near misses" involving planes across the country.

"It is always the case when you change airspace arrangements that you have a few incidents, just as you do if you change the traffic rules," Mr Anderson said.

He says the previous guidelines had been out-of-date for decades and he has again defended the safety of the new regulations, which allow light planes to share the same airspace as commercial jets.

"We are after all, broadly speaking, moving to an American-style system where, in tougher weather circumstances and much more concentrated airspace, there's a lot more people flying," he said.

"They (the US) maintain very safe skies indeed."

Source: ABC

Spuds McKenzie
13th Jan 2004, 00:03
Unreal!! Which planet does Mr. I-don't-want-Qantas-to-suffer-from-competition-therefore-I-will-lobby-on-their-behalf live on?!

:(

SM4 Pirate
13th Jan 2004, 10:39
We have RAs in Class A airspace for crying out loud. But not without a mistake; or without real separation being applied and a flase alarm generated (i.e. closure rates too high, a predictive error)

However, the fact remains that under this system there is still greater POTENTIAL for this type of incident than under the old system. Greater potential will result in a greater number of incidents and a greater number of incidents will ultimately result in a greater number of accidents. Absolutely, bacause you have RAs inside Class A and Class C doesn't mean that it is safe to have them inside class E, as Mr.Anderson has implied.

Mistake free accidents can occur in E; the same cannot be said of Class A or C.

Bottle of Rum

Scurvy.D.Dog
13th Jan 2004, 14:35
Air Services Australia (ASA) and light aircraft pilots have accused air traffic controllers of scare mongering by highlighting a series of apparent "near misses" involving planes across the country.I hope “Aunty” has inadvertently wrongly identified “ASA”. I assume they were actually referring to Air Safety Australia not Airservices Australia.
Otherwise there will be "big trouble in little china" me thinks!
:rolleyes:

Pinky the pilot
13th Jan 2004, 16:34
I wonder if he will do the same admission if the unthinkable happens and the sky rains duraliminuim one day?

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Piston Twin
13th Jan 2004, 17:21
We are after all, broadly speaking, moving to an American-style system

Interesting that the other day when I was talking with some Americans that they said how bad and outdated their ait trafic control system/airspace is. They couldn't believe that we are moving that way.

SM4 Pirate
14th Jan 2004, 08:58
Your point being??? I think you misunderstood my post

Mistake free accidents can occur in E; the same cannot be said of Class A or C.

I was backing your sentiments I thought...

Scurvy Dog: No I think Aunty had it right, ASA managment are a bunch of pricks I'd expect no less. If its news worthy ASA will defend itself by full on attack; Dudley do right is a true knuckle head; Smith (ours) would want this to go away, from the publiic spotlight; remember he is/was an AOPA member and thinks there are too many ATCs. His primary task was to reduce ATC numbers, something he is yet to do.. His contract has just been renewed, must be time to start slashing.