PDA

View Full Version : Air regulator investigates incident at Armidale

griffinblack
12th Jan 2004, 19:49
Air regulator investigates incident at Armidale
7:47 PM January 12

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has confirmed it is investigating an incident where a light plane came within 100 metres of the runway while a passenger plane prepared to land at a regional airport.

In the incident at Armidale airport, north-west of New South Wales, a system which identifies the location of light aircraft stopped working.

A light plane near the runway disappeared from the radar of a Qantas passenger plane as it was preparing to land.

Radio calls to the plane were unanswered and it landed immediately after the passenger jet.

The ATSB is also investigating claims a light aircraft came within 30 seconds of colliding with a 737 with 130 people on board at Brisbane Airport last week.

Christmas day incidents at Coolangatta and at Coffs Harbour, where a light plane failed to contact air traffic controllers over both airports, are also under investigation.

Source: ABC

Sue Ridgepipe
13th Jan 2004, 09:46
A Qantas passenger jet at Armidale? I'd like to see that!:eek:

EngineOut
13th Jan 2004, 11:43
Although the media do get it wrong the majority of the time, it did say a QF 'plane' not 'jet', so probably a dash 8!!

Transition Layer
13th Jan 2004, 11:50
Engine Out,

Radio calls to the plane were unanswered and it landed immediately after the passenger jet.

Comprehension obviously wasn't a strong point for you at school... :p

Cheers,
TL

ReadMyACARS
13th Jan 2004, 12:28
I'm more curious about "a system which identifies the location of light aircraft"

I presume they are refering to TCAS, but "a system" sound so much more serious.

weasil
16th Jan 2004, 05:37

It does actually say "jet"