PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight - just outside class 1 but within renewal standard

mazzy1026
11th Jan 2004, 18:24
Does anybody have any experience of a class 1 medical where they fell slightly outside of the visual standards, but met the renewal standard ? It says on the CAA website that they will "discuss your options".

I have just found out my current situation and am just outside the class 1 requirements (about -5.50 dioptres) but well within the renewal (-8.00 dioptres). I need to know what kind of chance I have of passing (if any) and am desperate for any advice as I am due to be taking the medical shortly.

Thanks

a very worried Lee

Flyin'Dutch'
11th Jan 2004, 21:22
M,

The CAA does decided these on a case by case basis.

However I understand that on the whole they look favourable upon people in this category.

Those who hold a licence already or a foreign class 1 medical seem to be well.

If you stick in your query in the search machine you will find that this question comes up quite regularly and see how other people got on.

ISTR that a person recently asked the same question and he passed. Look back on these threads and hopefully that will give some comfort!

Take note that I am not the CAA, and that they have the ultimate power to decide. I understand that they are quite happy to look at a prescription from your optician and let you know before you set off and part with £400 odd whether your vision is acceptable.

Best of luck.

FD

Dantruck
11th Jan 2004, 22:41
I was recently issued a JAA Class-1 medical by CAA Gatwick as a 'deviation.' They may do this if you meet certain criteria, including that you can demonstrate your prescription is stable. The deviation requires that you complete your training in the UK, ie: in their backyard, where they can keep an eye (sic) on you.

In my case I have a written statement confirming they will remove the deviation from my medical at the same time they issue me with my full commercial licence, IF my prescription is still within the renewal limits.

First, go to your optician and get him to dig out all your old eye test prescription results, at least for the last three years. Talk to CAA and send them your prescription history to consider. They will then decide whether you are a deviation candidate, and will probably then invite you to book your medical, currently £411, on that basis.

On the day CAA will do your eye tests first. That way, if you fail, they will refund the rest and not waste your time. At least, this is what happened with me.

I was assisted by the fact that CAA already knew me by virtue of the fact I had been going to Gatwick for my Class-2/3 medical since 1996. So, they already had my prescription history on file. My age, 42, also helped their decision because my astigmatism problem tends to be stable or even improve with age.

Anyway, dig out your results, then talk to Gatwick.

Good luck
Dan

:ok:

mazzy1026
12th Jan 2004, 00:37
Thanks guys for your advice :)

It seems that there may be a glimmer at the end of the tunnel. I must apologise, I did post this question before I read a lot of the forums but your answers have been a great help to me.

I am hoping that I can prove the stability of my eyes. I am 21 and currently stand at -5.5d in each eye. 2 years ago I was -5.25 and 2 years before that I was -5.00 - the optometrist at the local optician has told me my eyes should be steadying off and hopefully the CAA will see this.

I did have a conversation with Mr Chorley (what a nice guy) and he advised me to go down and they can check me out.

When I spoke to the nice lady on the phone - (regarding another matter) she seemed to be saying that if you can show that you have made an effort to pass the medical i.e. go on a diet and lose 2 stone, then it will help as they like to see the dedication - and that you mean business.

I dont intend to become ATPL qualified, I just want IR and maybe commercial rating and I want the CLass1 so that I have the flexibility to this.

Best wishes

Lee :ok:

gdnhalley
18th Jan 2004, 04:01
Lee
I had a very similar problem and got round it by getting an FAA cpl and being treated as a renewal by the CAA. Like you I found the CAA very helpful. The FAA class one is more flexible, certainly in terms of eyesight, than the CAA.
A little bit expensive perhaps, but I thought it might come in handy sometime.
good luck
gdn

mazzy1026
18th Jan 2004, 17:54
Thanks GDN

Is it true that once a medical has been failed, that it is extremely difficult, if not impossible to re-take the medical and pass ?

My plan was to get a class 2 (if I cant get the class 1) then do the PPL here, then go to USA, get an FAA medical and then come back and convert it?

Sounds a bit complex I know, but I will don anything !

Cheers

Lee :ok:

long final
21st Jan 2004, 01:13
mazzy,

I failed the first class 1 then went and got a FAA CPL and had no problem passing the JAA Class 1 next time round.

All the best

LF

mazzy1026
21st Jan 2004, 01:36
Hi long final

How come you failed the medical if you dont mind me asking - was it because of the eyesight?

Regards

Lee ;)

long final
21st Jan 2004, 02:29
Yes, my astigmatism is 2.5 - outside the initial limit but within the renewal. The rule is (was) that if you hold an ICAO CPL and relevant class medical you can be granted a JAA class 1 using the revalidation figures.

I believe that this door may not be open forever though.

Hope this helps.

Regards

LF

Stratocaster
4th Mar 2004, 18:43
Tough question here...

I do have the UK CAA flow-chart explaining in details what kind of examination you have to go through if you want a UK JAR CPL/ATPL, and what standards you have to meet, based on the medical certificates and licenses you already have (or not).

It's very simple and straightforward, and it also "confirms" the FAA/ICAO CPL-route to bypass the initial Class 1.

But who produced this flow-chart ? The JAA or the UK CAA ? I've been through the entire JAR-FCL 3 and I didn't find anything like it. I didn't find anything about this "initial Class 1 bypass".

Final question: if this bypass procedure is indeed not JAA, which country follows it ? Only the UK ?

long final
4th Mar 2004, 19:28
Strato,

if you go the FAA CPL route you will be iisued a JAA medical certificate - have mine in front of me - state of issue - UK

hope thats what you wanted

LF

Stratocaster
4th Mar 2004, 21:23
Many thanks for taking the time to answer, but actually I'm more concerned about what's going on in all the other JAA states. As far as I know, only the UK has a clear policy on this issue and applies the "initial Class 1 bypass".

If the "bypass" comes directly from the JAA, no doubt anybody from any JAA country could use it. But I much doubt it, I can't find the "bypass" in JAR-FCL3 (I also searched a bit in JAR-FCL1 and didn't find anything). I fear this "bypass" is more an exception than a common rule. If it's purely UK CAA, somebody from another country can't benefit from it: it's not pure JAA regulations (which are not yet binding, JARs are still recommended practices, any country can do what they want with it until EASA takes over)

Sooooo, back to square one, where does the "bypass" come from ? JAA or UK CAA ?
:confused: