PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to make a living out of Aviation?

TurbineDreamer
11th Jan 2004, 15:48
Just wondering what peoples thoughts and experiences are in trying to make a Living out of Aviation. How tough is it to make a living so you can have a life and raise a family. Are there GA jobs where this can be done, do you earn enough in the Regionals to raise a family and pay a mortgage? Interested in peoples thoughts.

merlin boy
11th Jan 2004, 16:53
How long is a piece of string?

Your success or failure in GA will depend on two things.........1/ Your desire to achieve your goal at any cost( and I don't mean just dollars,...although you'll need that) and ..2/ A lucky break or three will be neccessary. If you get this, then the way to make a living out of GA is to get OUT of it and go into the airlines.

After seven years (6 in GA) I am yet to meet a GA pilot who has

1/ made an acceptable sustainable standard of living.

2/Managed to keep a partner/ family from the beginning.

3/Saved enough money to buy better than a 1978 toyota corolla.

Sounds a bit gloomy I know, but, thats the rule rather than the exception.

A few good jobs exist in GA, however these are probably harder to secure than the elusive first job in the airlines.

Good luck.

Locator
11th Jan 2004, 18:05
All this answer requires are two words....."!@#$%^& HARD "

Thank you,

Loc.

Towering Q
11th Jan 2004, 20:46
It can be done if the wife is willing to go out and work too. You won't be eating out much anymore. Better think about cutting down on your spending, disposable income and GA don't mix.

It's all character building stuff. :yuk:

Islander Jock
11th Jan 2004, 21:10
I have the hours including twin, current ratings etc and I couldn't even come close to making a decent living from GA. Hence my decision to chuck it in, work in West Africa outside of aviation.

I take my hat off to those who stick it out in $hitholes up north working for 4/5 of F*&k all and living in conditions that a welfare recipient would be screaming blue murder about. G'day TL ;)

John Citizen
12th Jan 2004, 04:48
Try living in PNG !!

The welfare recipients of Australia sure do live a better lifestyle/standard of living/quality of life than pilots in PNG.

Something simple as a reliable 24 hour electricity supply is just too much to ask for up here.

MAXX
12th Jan 2004, 10:24
THIS WILL GIVE YOU SOME IDEA OF THE MONEY YOU MAKE IN GA.
REFULLERS AND BAGGAGE HANDLERS MAKE MORE MONEY THAN 99.9% OF GA PILOTS WITH MAYBE SENIOR RFDS GUYS MAKING A LITTLE BIT MORE.

MOST MULTI ENGINE MULTI CREW TURBINE CAPTAINS IN GA WILL BE ON AROUND 50,OOO PA PLUS (IF YOUR LUCKY $2500 PA EXPENSES),F/O AROUND 30-35000 PA DEPENDING ON WHO YOU WORK FOR.

Towering Q
12th Jan 2004, 11:07
OK Maxx, no need to shout.http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/director.gif

swh
12th Jan 2004, 11:52
TD,

A recent flight safety magazine had an article in the back with a statement some thing like there was 14,000 unemployed CPLs in Australia. An oversupply of pilots at the bottom end pushes the wages at the bottom end down.

The way to get ahead in GA is : know people, contacts, expereince, the right attitude, and willingness to move away from captial cities to get the experience.

Merlin boy :

I work with a few guys who have partners in GA for many years, their partners have jobs which enable them to pick up work regardless of where you are in the country, doctors, nursers, teachers, etc.

I know quite a few guys about that are on over 40k just flying piston twins, kicking back enjoying life, I know it does not allow you to buy a 2004 top of line series merc but a lot of the guys have decent cars.

MAXX,

Wages at RFDS are better than that, have a look at the award ....

Transition Layer
12th Jan 2004, 15:31
G'day IJ (and others),

Mate, I was looked after quite well up there - was paid the award and always on time. Fair enough, the town was a sh1thole, but even that could have been worse from what I've heard! Hell, I could even afford a few beers when characters like you rolled into town!

I've gone soft anyway, teaching young punks how to fly back in the big smoke with about a 30% payrise. Progression onto twins poor but it was really a lifestyle decision in the end. The time to head bush and get back amongst it is drawing near, but for now I'm happy living back here and having a ball.

My advice...just marry a rich girl to take the pressure off! Thats my next project! :D

Cheers,
TL
:ok:

Azimuth
14th Jan 2004, 12:04
I work 5 days a week flying - 10 hour + days if you include paperwork etc. The other 2 days of the week I work a "normal" job so I can pay my bills. That said I wouldn't have it any other way. On my 2 days not flying I can't wait to get back in an aeroplane again so you can't really call it work...:ok: