PDA

View Full Version : W98se network advice sought

roach
11th Jan 2004, 01:32
I have trawled through past posts and have found some helpful tips but I guess as is always the case each problem is different.
I have some basic computer knowledge but won't go as far as into the registry!
What I have is one W98se PII 300mhz 198RAM and one PI W98se 90mhz with little RAM.
I would like to try and connect them by cable ( about 12metres) to allow file/printer sharing but mainly to allow internet connection on an ADSL connection. Is this possible and if so how?
Both comps have network cards ( Novell ). I have yet to buy the cable and I guess it will need to be crossover...is it as simple as connecting the cable to both and that's it ( if it is it will be the first time anything I have done with a computer has been simple! )
If anyone has any advice I'd be most grateful.
Thank you in advance.

TR4A
11th Jan 2004, 01:55
Take a look here.

http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-arch.asp

HelenD
11th Jan 2004, 01:55
It will probably work with both connected with a cross over cable but you will have to have the one with the adsl modem going in to it on for the other to get an internet connection.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
11th Jan 2004, 04:44
roach,

You can use a Crossover Cable to order to have the two computers to talk to each other, but I would recommend a Router to anyone using Broadband. It is always a good idea to have a hardware firewall with a broadband connection to the Internet.

Take Care,

Richard

Mac the Knife
11th Jan 2004, 05:19
Use the P1 as your ADSL router/firewall - it'll be good for that (and not much else these days). Run FreeSCO on it ( http://www.freesco.org/ ) - which is designed specifically for this situation - easy to install, runs off one floppy, doesn't change your hard drive (you can actually run it off a FAT hard drive too {faster boot} if you want, without damaging your Windows installation).

The P2 is linked to the P1 by a crossover and off you go.

If it works, you're away. If it doesn't you've lost nothing.