PDA

View Full Version : Is Ryanair really adding flights to EMA?

Lite
11th Jan 2004, 01:13
I have seen lots of rumours over the past six months that the Ryanair people were looking at launching flights to East Midlands Airport in 2004, but so far there has been no conclusive proof.

I think that EMA could really do with Ryanair at the airport. bmibaby are constantly scaling down their operations at East Midlands and easyJet have internally stated they have no current plans to expand their EMA base, in fact it was the only UK base not to recieve flights from Berlin Schoenefeld.

So does anyone know if anything will come to fruition?

Buster the Bear
11th Jan 2004, 07:05
The only new bases for Ryanair will be airports with some regional aid, maybe to help establish new routes and services.

Low cost bases may bring passengers and jobs, but if there are little or no profits for either party, then why bother in the first place?

Are the airports with new low-cost airlines, making any meaningful profits for thier efforts?

My humbled guess is...Not a lot £££

emaint2003
12th Jan 2004, 19:51
FR will appear at EMA in 2004.
Too many trips by EMA mgmt to
DUB.

egnxema
12th Jan 2004, 23:30
Lite,

Interesting news. Where did you hear it? All that others seem to mention is that easy crews at EMA are talking about increasing the number of base aircraft this year, with flights to PMI, CIA & MAD.

Lite
13th Jan 2004, 00:02
I have seen the rumours here on PPRUNe as well as from a friend of mine who works at Servisair at the airport the day before I started this post.

The same friend quoted to me at the same time, that lots of EasyJet and Servisair crews at the airport are less than pleased with the decision to keep expanding other bases, such as Newcastle, but no expansion out of EMA since last winter. Apparently EasyJet management told EMA crews they had no plans to expand the base in the forseeable future, and to add oil to the fire, the company has decided not to fly from the new SXF base in Berlin to EMA, but will be flying to all the other UK bases.

I had heard Ryan was going to start twice daily flights to Hahn and Dublin and once daily flights to Ciampino and Bergamo.

EMACargo
13th Jan 2004, 19:58
I dont know why Easy dont just leave EMA. They have done nothing for the airport. We need Ryanair to establish the airport and stick a pool cue up the arses of easy and bmibaby's management.

Routes to HHN, CIA, BGY, DUB would work, and poss Stockholm Skavsta in the future. MO'L get you finger out and help EMA

ALLMCC
13th Jan 2004, 20:22
EMA Cargo

Ryanair and Easyjet are in the business of helping themselves not airports - unless they can operate to/from airports at little or no cost to themselves (and in some cases even being paid by the airports for the privilege of their presence) then they're not interested!

Why not get Flybe in, get rid of Easyjet and keep Baby!

EMACargo
14th Jan 2004, 00:30
for 1 flybe are too involved in BHX as you well know but why do they contine to operate if they want to make money. If they are operating and making a profit, isnt that when you start looking at expanding or am i wrong. If they are losing money, why dont they cut back a bit????? not just keep it the same. Every company has to better itself all the time. This is something easyjet arent doing at EMA.

Regards

Wee Weasley Welshman
14th Jan 2004, 02:13
Hmm, EZY have been able to expand every regional base bar EMA. Why might this be?

Either Sir Michael has a 'not in my backyard' strategy that stifles competition or the airport simply doesn't have the appeal to the public.

Simple as that.

Cheers

jumpseater
14th Jan 2004, 02:46
'Ryanair and Easyjet are in the business of helping themselves not airports'

Erm, precisely how many airlines, who are responsible to their shareholders, which like the two mentioned above by yourself, have in their company policy, 'help airports'? The two mentioned above (which you continually and inaccurately comment upon), are Low-Cost airlines, (theres a bit of a clue there for you), not only do they keep the cost of flying relatively low, they will also negotiate for the least possible cost to themselves, and hence their shareholders! If the airports can't offer an attractive enough package to an airline, then the airlines won't be interested, and why should they?

737James
16th Jan 2004, 12:48
I agree it would be good to get FR into East Midlands i feel the time is right for them to move in now with Baby cutting back on flights in summer 04 especially on the Dublin route.
Just as a matter of interest i noticed while taxing out last couple of mornings a FR 737-800 has been nightstopping at EMA not sure the reason probaly just touch and gos training though as they seem to be doing alot of that at ema recently.

Anthony Carn
16th Jan 2004, 14:19
I dont know why Easy dont just leave EMA. They have done nothing for the airport.
Before Easy/Go arrived at EMA, we had bmi, basically.

Around 2001, bmi had declared to their EMA employees a decision to scale down the operation due to "lack of passengers". The proposal was to move the Fokker out of EMA and replace them with smaller Embraer twinjets.

Then Easy/Go burst onto the EMA scene with a bang and introduced their lo-cost operation. Passenger figures rocketed overnight.

Big Panic !!!! bmi go "Derrrrr! Wots diss?

In "response", bmi, in a remarkable (not) change of mind, moved their 737's fron LHR, painted a baby on the tail and simply mirrored the Easy operation. This was indeed a policy of attempting to protect one's own back yard and nothing else. (I tend to think that if one keeps one's back yard well managed in the first place, this sort of thing becomes less likely)

So instead of half a dozen bmi Embraer tiddlers operating at high fares out of EMA, we now have, I guess, twenty 737's at lo-cost fares.

Now re-read the quote and tell me you still think Easy have done nothing for EMA. :rolleyes:

EMA's biggest problem has been decades of BMA/BM/bmi presence with the accompanying dullness.

737James
16th Jan 2004, 14:48
In reply to Anthony Carns post I believe at present well last time i counted in morning there is currently 9 based 737's 6 Babys & 3 Easy's.
I think both carriers need focus on different routes except for the Scotland routes that are performing well for both companys.

Anthony Carn
16th Jan 2004, 16:07
737James -- is that just 737's parked on the apron this morning ? Not necessarily the same thing as 737's based at EMA.

I'd be surprised if Easy have only 3, though I have'nt taken much interest in EMA for a few months.

Anyone know the exact count for each outfit ?

Regardless, it's better than five Embraers at higher ticket prices -- all thanks to the Easy/Go initiative and nothing else.

Lite
16th Jan 2004, 23:59
bmibaby in the winter 2002/2003 schedule when taking over the bmi regional operation plus adding some more routes, had a total of nine Boeing 737s operating out of East Midlands Airport.

I believe that bmibaby has since scaled this down to five permanently based 737s, plus 2 flying EMA + MAN & MME flights.

EasyJet have four Boeing 737-300s based at EMA, all ex-Go, plus a visiting 319 for the Geneva flights.

Electric Sky
17th Jan 2004, 01:58
There is little doubt that the decision to set up baby at EMA was to stifle a competitor following a huge U-turn by AR. However, if the decision was a rash one, few can argue that it has turned out to be a bad one with baby seemingly being the current money maker in the bmi structure.

As for EMA, it simply can't support 3 low costs but it is a shame to see a lack of new routes. I am sure that if the passengers were there for new routes, then bmibaby and easyjet would be quick to exploit it with expansion..... but to me it seems they probably are not.

ES ;)

EastMids
17th Jan 2004, 21:25
Really don't see much hope for Baby at EMA on the business routes - AMS, CDG, GLA, EDI, BFS, DUB. Whilst baby may or may not have been a rash decision (as suggested above) time will demonstrate that that rash bit was to go for the popular routes out of EMA, especially head to head with easy, and in fact its only really worked on the Med and other holiday routes. BRU was the first to fall, AMS likely to be next probably going to BMIR on a Fokker - maybe that will trigger an easy expansion to join two of their dots? Either way, easy have consistantly outperformed baby where they go head to head, and the possibility of FR coming into DUB, HHR and BVA would all but kill baby's commitments to the business routes. FR or not, baby are finding it much easier to make money at MAN rather than EMA, and many loyal EMA users have been driven to BHX as they need through check-in, connections on continent, same day return checkin, etc. A year or so from now, I believe baby will be pretty much confined to the Med, easy will be much as they are or maybe slightly bigger, BMIR will be running many of the old BMI routes, and FR might just be running low fares on some routes which baby has vacated.

Andy

PS: Booked last week to go to CDG on Monday, back on Tuesday. baby want over £200 return plus tax, BA ex BHX around £170 all in. Saving in car parking at BHX alone will pay for the petrol to drive there, so I'll take the ticket with the gin and tonics included, thank you! Is there any wonder baby is destroying the regular traveller market at EMA? The sooner BMI's rash experiment at at EMA goes away, or at least just concentrates its attention on ferrying holiday makers to their time shares, the better

plantzzman
18th Jan 2004, 22:53
I have posted regarding Ryanair at EMA before-my views are unchanged-If you want to do training flights at EMA please start up a base there bringing in local employment and offering local people new routes etc and be a benefit to people.
If you just want to "practice" at landing etc then b***er off back to where you come from because your no better than flies buzzing round a cow pat-I really dont know why local residents put up with Ryanair's hours of training.
(in this post iam not surgesting EMA is a pile of cow waste but others can think what they like)

Wing Commander Fowler
19th Jan 2004, 17:52
Warning Warning...... Barp Barp Barp NIMBY alert!! Danger Danger Will Robinson......

Hehe.... Get a life!

:yuk:

plantzzman
20th Jan 2004, 05:41
Well I aint no NIMBY I've defended EMA many times in our local paper when the NIMBY's start rocking the boat. A place such as EMA is vitally important for many local communities as regards jobs etc but iam not going to defend EMA when they allow such over use of the airport by companies such as Ryanair who show no signs of setting up a base there. That just takes the p**s.
At the end of the day it's only EMA who will loose out as sooner or later local people will get there way. Doesnt bother me-I live far enough away to never see the training aircraft. Only time I get narked is when an AN124 comes over when it's past everyones bed time and it's carrying a heavy load.:zzz:

egnxema
20th Jan 2004, 15:28
WHat time is bed time Plantzzman? After homework is done and bag packed for school, or when you get home from the Year 12 Disco?

kpiko3
20th Jan 2004, 23:46
737 James,

Ryanair`s main training base is at Nottingham,close to the airport that is why you will see alot nightstopping.

Seems pretty sensible to have a main base down from your main training centre.

Cheers
kpiko3

plantzzman
21st Jan 2004, 03:17
EGNXEMA your posts really are as painfully unfunny as what iam told it is like to have an anal fistual.
As your post is neither relevent to Ryanair or EMA which is the thread heading I guess technically your post should be deleted as it isnt in the spirit of the forums.
While I think about it dont forget to change your forum name now EMA is becoming Nottingham East Midlands or what ever-you know-Nottingham-that East Midlands city twinned with Dodge City.
May I assure you of my best intentions at all times. :ok:

Plantzzman..please dont personally abuse fellow ppruners. cheers Hawk

Thanks for your views Hawk which you are entitled to as a moderator. Lets not forget that EGNXEMA was first to attack me. I wouldnt want to think you had double standards so dont forget to edits EGNXEMA's post also.
If someone has ago at me it's only natural to bite.
May I assure you of my best intentions at all times.

737James
21st Jan 2004, 12:56
KPIKO3

I didnt realise Ryanair had training in Nottingham seems quite a strange place to me to have it.
That is the first time i have seen FR aircraft nightstopping at ema normally they just fly in to do there circuits but i guess they must have had alot of crew training to do last week.

Plantzzman
Maybe more bad news for you i heard yesterday from member of ezy crew that from 22nd Feb the first EZY 319 is going to be based at Ema for crew training flying circuits for upto 8hours a day.

Maybe Almost Professional from ema could confirm this ?:D

kpiko3
22nd Jan 2004, 03:39
Well I know a captain who is based at PIK with Ryanair,and he told me that there main training base for Simulators that kind of thing is in Nottingham.But recently Ryanair sent him and possibly others to Stockholm/SAS for training on the 738.

EZY tend to turn up at PIK for alot of training.Possibly some circuits at EMA,then a flight up to PIK for some then back down to EMA.

Kpiko3

plantzzman
22nd Jan 2004, 05:32
737James no dont be silly you are missing my point completely MYSELF it doesnt bother me about training flights as I live far enough away for training flights to never be a problem.Plus as it stands EZY are an EMA operator so they are entitled to train from the airport-no problem. I only ever beef about companies such as Ryanair who train but dont base or operate at the airport- They get something but dont give alot back-other than a fee to Nottingham East Midlands.

emaint2003
26th Jan 2004, 06:26
Nema MD and his Humberside
sidekick seen boarding a baby flight
to Dub last week. I wonder what they
are up to? Also heard that Thomsonfly
in real trouble at CVT and may relocate
to Nema or BHX anybody heard anything?