PDA

View Full Version : Email .jpg Attachment problems

Tosh McCaber
10th Jan 2004, 23:08
There's something fishy going on! My jpg. attachments to my emails turn into .dat files when they arrive at Hotmail accounts- I'm using Outlook. No problem sending to Outlook or Outlook Express accounts (including sending to myself).

A few months ago, I downloaded Quicktime- at that time, all my .jpg files suddenly inherited a Quicktime logo, with no changes to using them on-screen. Email file attachments now appear with a Quicktime logo- I don't know if that has anything to do with it?

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
11th Jan 2004, 01:40
Tosh McCaber,

There are two things going on here. First, lets get .jpg associated with IE again. When you installed QT, it associated .jpgs to QT. With Win ME-2k-XP you can right click on any .jpg and go to Properties. In there you can use the Change Button to change the association.

As for the Hotmail issue, all email clients are supposed to be compatible with each other, (in theory), but that is not usually the case. If the part of an email or attachment comes though as a .dat or a .tmp, usually the coding of the attachment did not get though as it should have. A simple solution is to try using WinZip to zip the .jpg and see if it comes though intact after being emailed.

Take Care,

Richard

Tosh McCaber
11th Jan 2004, 02:41
Richard,

Thanks for the prompt and lucid response- great!! Do I associate the .jpg with IE- or what?

Tosh

Naples Air Center, Inc.
11th Jan 2004, 04:48
Tosh McCaber,

Either IE or Windows Picture & Fax Viewer (if you have it- all depends on the OS you are running).

Take Care,

Richard