PDA

View Full Version : Does a PPL mean anything???????

cscan
10th Jan 2004, 21:35
I have almost completed my PPL and would love to continue and get my CPL to go commercial. Will having a PPL under my belt be any benefit to me as I would have had basic training in both the Theory and Practical in aviation, or do the airline's consider it not to be worth much at all.

Any information would be great.

Thanks

Cscan

df1
11th Jan 2004, 00:15
cscan,

One cannot obtain a CPL without first getting a PPL - at least in my experience.

Having completed a PPL under your own steam should demonstrate your willingness, dedication and to an extent aptitude, to fly.

Thats my view at least.

Good luck!

mad_jock
11th Jan 2004, 00:34
You can gain a CPL without first doing the PPL on an Intergrated course which means full time study / instruction and cost a lot more than doing it the modular way. In fact you can actually have a CPL/IR with no SEP class issued on it.

From my experence they only thing they asked me about was how long it took me to go solo and if I enjoyed it.

BUT I was a 1000hr+ FI, for a low hr (220) modular student they might very well be alot more interested in your PPL. Where you did it, what you did during hour building etc.

MJ

eire_boy
12th Jan 2004, 05:35
Mad_Jock

Just out of curiousity, are the airlines that concerned with how long it took a PPL student to go solo? I know of people who have gone solo in 8 hours, where as some (like myself) take longer due to only flying at weekends/working fulltime/cashflow etc, in the long run does it make any difference?

charlie-india-mike
12th Jan 2004, 05:42
Yes

A PPL/IMC and 130hrs in the last two years means that I am 13K poorer that I was when I started but a lot happier than if I hadn'd done it

C-I-M

FLYbyWIT
12th Jan 2004, 05:50
Not in the slightest eireboy.

mad_jock
12th Jan 2004, 19:22
I don't think so eire-boy

If you have managed to get through to the interview they are already happy with your flying qualifications. And the proof will be dealt with in the sim later.

I presume it is just a question to get you enthusing a bit about flying and get you chatting to the interviewer.

MJ