PDA

View Full Version : Cpl Nav Training (gps)

s/e cessna
10th Jan 2004, 18:22
Just out of curiosity guys and girls how many of you used a GPS during your CPL nav ex's.

Over time I've noticed a common trend developing amongst inexperienced pilots (no offence intended); this being the relience and use of the now very common GPS.

Whether handheld or dash mounted, I know there're some pretty fancy bloody units out there, chances are you won't get lost using them, but in all seriousness what has happened to the good old fashioned heading and time principle, sure as hell one day when the weather turns to **** and you loose a sat or the U.S. decide to turn their switch off you'll still know where you are!!

Unfortunately, whether through lack of training or a dependance on such a system I've noticed an increasing inability amongst fresh pilots (using the term loosely) to navigate efficiently and accurately. Personally I believe the GPS is a major attributing factor.

Thoughts thanks ..................................... :confused:

Richo
11th Jan 2004, 10:13
Hi s/e

A CPL test candidate must be able to use all of the equipment on board the test aircraft, this is an asesable item on a flight test.

Obviously the testing officer will want to see the basics to ensure the candidate can infact do the job without all the bells and whistles as well.

But it is there so it sould be used, if it has not suffered the CPL misterious flight test U/S.

A friend was critisised by the testing officer for not using the autopilot when he was under the pump during cruise. My mate said but this is CPL flight test. I thought you would fail it.

My advise to CPL test candidates is, Don't assume (Ass U me) the negative, assume the positive and use it until it misteriously fails. The CPL flight tests your skills as a pro, and I can asure you that the pro's use the available technology all the time.

I don't belive that using this or any other work load reducing equipment causes a lack of the basic skills, so long as the basic skills are taught and performed to a high standard in the first place.

All the best

Richo

compressor stall
11th Jan 2004, 10:38
Yep, know how to use it. And know how to fly without it.

You should know how to use EVERY piece of technology to make it easier for you.

If the testing officer wants to see you hand fly, then s/he will fail the autopilot. Until then, use it.

Similarly with the GPS.

In your training, I would recommend flying 3 out of 4 legs without the GPS switched on.

Pilot16
8th Jan 2005, 01:12
Right, sorry to take it to square one, but is one allowed to use a portable GPS system to aid navigation, in map mode, during CPL test?

I always assumed you cant, as surely this would make life too easy...

druglord
8th Jan 2005, 01:29
to be the devils advocate...it's a nice handy skill to have but DR is quickly going the way of the dodo bird and celestial navigation. Don't plan on using it much even if you get a bush job. Most operators use GPS's and if they don't they're making their operation less safe. Sure the US may turn off the system, but then again your compass may leak as well. Plenty of scare scenarios. We laugh at the europeans for learning to use a sextant for their ATPL, DR may very well be the same in the future.