PDA

View Full Version : Moutain Flying Course

N2204F
10th Jan 2004, 06:18
Hi all,

Great board, this. I was wondering if anybody out there could recommend a good mountain flying course, preferably east of the Rockies. Colorado maybe, I'm in Kansas City.

The perfect course could be fit into a long weekend.

To that end, would anybody actually recommend doing a flying course at all. Would a good video/book do just as well?

My current instrument instructor said that he likes to do simulated departures and approaches at altitude in lieu of an actual high airport. Worth trying?

weasil
10th Jan 2004, 22:19
go to www.flightinfo.com and try the US message board there. Search for your topic and you will find lots of threads on mountain flying.

Weasil

zerozero
11th Jan 2004, 04:41
Experience is the best teacher and there can be no substitute for making a mountain departure with a density altitude of more than 8000 feet into rising terrain with occasional downsloping winds.

Nothing will simulate your sensation of increased groundspeed (higher TAS) while your airspeed indicator sluggishly hangs around the bottom of the white arc.

I don't know the Colorado area but I'm sure (almost positive) that you can find a good course in Colorado Springs or Boulder. You may want to avoid Denver but who knows?

There are many good books on mountain flying. That may get you started in the right direction and give you an idea of what to expect.

As a minimum your course should include:

--Density Altitude
--Mountain waves/turbulence/windshear
--Flying down valleys
--Crossing ridges
--Emergency 180s (min radius, 1.3Vs, app flaps, steep turn)
--Pilotage
--Takeoff and Landing performance.

It's not rocket science but you should definitely do these things with an experienced instructor.

Good luck.

ski pilot
31st Jan 2004, 16:58
N2204F, mate if you want to survive in the mountains would recomend that you leave your instrument instructor at home if all he can do is fly the sim at altitude.
can recomend getting in contact with leadville airport colorado and talk to Ursula or Jan about there mtn flying course, you won't getting any higher t/o's and lnds than up there(9927'amsl), the highest in your country i do believe. did some flying with them back in 97, guess they are still around and running courses. here are there details, (917) 486 2627. p.o.box 1597 leadville, co 80461.
good luck, you can learn alot off these guys.

FWA NATCA
1st Feb 2004, 08:05
N2204F,

One way to find a good instructor or course for mountain flying is to contact one of the FAA Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO). The FSDO office would maintain a list of certified instructors and or courses that probably would fit within your time frame.

Try the FAA web site at http://www.faa.gov there should be a link to the FSDO web site.

Mike
NATCA FWA