PDA

View Full Version : Horrors! No Beer in Marble Bar?

steamchicken
10th Jan 2004, 00:15
Is it true the Ironclad Hotel's closed down? I had my most expensive beer ever there - working on Corunna Downs, had to buy a case of ale to pay for the lift into town to buy my own beers. A$80 I kid you not. Mind you, good craic, good beer, ugly locals. What a terrible loss - is the road house at the entrance to town still there(because I recall you could at least get a stub with your dinner)?

engage left autopilot
10th Jan 2004, 08:07
Nothing as tragic as that.

Manager quit and without the manager then not able to operate. the owner is overseas so until they find a manager to the satisfaction of the Liqour Board then can open doors. tragic

The truck stop only sells beer with food. bit of a problem for the locals as 'eating is cheating'

Had the occassional beer there. your right, you won't see any of the regulars on the front of a magazine.

Cheers

steamchicken
10th Jan 2004, 23:04
Thanks - now seen some news, I remember people used to do that (skip town unexpectedly) all the time!

I also recall the framed news cuttings about RAAF C130 exercises on the old airfield on Corunna in the backroom..driving along the rwy in a HJ Landcruiser with a swans at the end of the day, and the routine competition to see who'd take the turn at the end the fastest. (you could just about take it in fourth in an old cruiser like that, but the HZJ75 ones used to roll horribly in third, no-one wanted to go there!)